The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not going to go any bigger, unless I get a lift. These do not rub in the front, but I can't see how anything bigger won't. The truck ahs a 2.5" leveling kit on the front too.

If it crushes my fuel mileage, I will probably go back to 245's. 285 STT's are not hard to get rid of here in FL.

·
Banned
6,478 Posts
Wayne looks good. Why would the 285's hurt your mileage.

I want to put on 315's thinking it was gonna help me. My truck gets great mileage if I keep it under 2000RPM.

I was thinking the larger tire might drop me enough to run under 2000RPM at 65MPH

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mostly drive around town now, so it takes a bit more to get them rolling, even though they are only slightly bigger. I am sure once on the hiway it will help a bit. I will see how it goes, and report my findings.

·
1,409 Posts
I didn't notice a difference going from 245's to 285's in mileage or driveability. Now that I went to 315's there is a big difference in driveability, mileage is still the same though. With the leveling kit I have and the wheels I chose there was some rubbing. That took about 2 hours to get the wheels to clear at full stuff. Just a little cutting, grinding and banging. It's been over a month and the wife hasn't even noticed the trim job yet.

·
1,705 Posts
Looking good Wayne :thumbsup

·
Banned
6,478 Posts
Wayne, Eric

The tires I wanted to get, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac have some bad reviews about the sidewall not being stiff enough. What is your opinion on your STT's

Initial Review, 3,000 Miles on Tires
June 27, 2009

Do not buy if you have a big heavy vehicle. Corner stability is poor. The truck wants to heel in the oposite direction of the turn at higher speeds. Feels like rolling on basketballs. I've had 4 sets of different brands on my truck, but these were the poorest choice by far. Looked great but handle like thin cheap tires with no sidewall strength. Got different brand and now stability is back and I feel safer. Might work on little cars like Jeeps, but not big trucks.

Initial Review, 1,800 Miles on Tires
May 27, 2009

There was not any info or reviews when I purchased these tires. Fairly happy so far however I do have a lot a tire rollover when I corner. I have since learned that they do not have the best carcus on this tire for use on a 1 ton truck. I think for use on a 1/2 ton or SUV they would be great. I do get good traction in mud and gravel. Great on the farm at slow speeds just a little concearned about curvy highway and backroads. Good overall tire I believe. Hope to get good milage out of them.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
im looking to replace my 215s...what size is a good one to step up to for 50/50 towing and highway driving?

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wayne, Eric

The tires I wanted to get, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac have some bad reviews about the sidewall not being stiff enough. What is your opinion on your STT's
The STT's have very stiff, thick sidewalls. I forget what they call it, but it's not going to give.

im looking to replace my 215s...what size is a good one to step up to for 50/50 towing and highway driving?
The choice is yours. I had 245's on after my 215's wore out, now I am at 285.

Get longer studs, if it works for nascar...
Longer studs? The would mean the pressure against the studs is only that of the sir in the tires. If one blew out they would both be "loose" on the studs.

·
1,705 Posts
I can tell ya 245"s aren't enough. I followed Waynes steps and went with
245"s and now I want 235/85/16"s or 255/85/16"s. 245"s are just too small and don't gain enough over 215"s. 285"s would be my #1 pick but my flatbed won't allow it :(

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Im running 215s now....so 245s are too small still? I dont want HUGE tires, just something a little bigger then these doughnuts i got.

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im running 215s now....so 245s are too small still? I dont want HUGE tires, just something a little bigger then these doughnuts i got.
It's going to boil down to personal opinions. I have a feeling what you use your truck for is similar to what I used mine for until recently. I would go with the 245's. If I started towing a bunch tomorrow, I would go back with 245's. Just my opinion.

285's are not HUGE, but they are a significant bit larger than our stock 215's. Keep in mind the 285 is a 33.10" tall tire. 245 IIRC is a 30" tall tire.

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Nice looking tires Wayne i just got new ones to and wheels.

·
Banned
6,478 Posts
It's going to boil down to personal opinions. I have a feeling what you use your truck for is similar to what I used mine for until recently. I would go with the 245's. If I started towing a bunch tomorrow, I would go back with 245's. Just my opinion.

285's are not HUGE, but they are a significant bit larger than our stock 215's. Keep in mind the 285 is a 33.10" tall tire. 245 IIRC is a 30" tall tire.
Wayne what do you have for tail gears in your truck?

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Going to get some 245s then today if i can find some in DE somewhere. (tax free state:D)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts