The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here used a detroit true trac yet in the rear of a 10.5 sterling the F250's F350 (srw) trucks came with? I just installed mine... It works great in turns with no throttle applied, any throttle applied and its binding up and making grinding & popping sounds.... Not the racheting or clicking sounds from a traditional locker, but actually grinding. Was told when i bought this that it was the best, silent, and un noticeable..... Eaton says their failure rate of these is less than 1%, its even worse when I tow..... Any ideas here?

·
36 Posts
I have one in the front and it's doing the same if I can't get it disengaged prior to turning off the track. I have the Detroit Locker in the rear and it works great. I've had it for about 5 years now without any problems.

·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles approx do you think are on the front diff, I got 500 on mine and its not getting better.... What oil did you use.... I put standard napa oil in over synthetic

·
36 Posts
I'm had WOP put in Redline Syn. I think I'm at about 20K miles on both dif's with the same oil. I've checked it each year and it's holding up fine.

·
77 Posts
I had one in my 04 silent, a little tire scrubbing during tight turns.. Put over 20,000 miles on it, pulled it and it will be going in my current truck..proper oil and setup is key..

From The Southwest ! TaPaTaLk.

·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What oil do you recommend? I'm getting ready to change the oil in the rear after the 500 mile ring & pinion break in..... I called eaton and all I can get out of them is "use a non synthetic mineral based oil" that is what I have in it now and this true trac sounds like a ticking time bomb.... FML

·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm beginning to wonder if its just the specfic unit for the 10.5 is junk.... I called randy's ring and pinion where I bought it from and they are certain the type of oil would have no affect on the helical gears in it

·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update, talked to the tech at eaton and he says that the oil needs changed in the rear . I followed directions and used petroleum/mineral based oil, but that they (eaton) has had complaints with Napa brand oil..... I used the recommended Shell Spirax HD 80x-90 this time and will try it out tonight when I haul a 5000 pound car..... Keep you updated later

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think this innovative technology is truly awesome for my truck. It not only enhance the performance of my vehicle but also provide me amazing comfort in driving my truck.

·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, everything went good over the weekend. the grinding and popping is significantly less, but it still chatters and is not smooth as described by members on here, and eaton..... I'll never buy another one. Should have went with an auburn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts