The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ton of questions due to being a first time diesel owner. I have a 04 F350 4X4 crew cab. Here is my first of many questions I would like to add some aux gauges, I would like to have a egt and boost gauge at min. Any suggestions? Are the pillar gauges the best way to go? Or is there any other options? The truck is bone stock and I would like to do some simple mod's that are good for a daily driver. I was thinking 4" exhaust good or bad idea? I have heard many horror stories of the 6.0 being a terrible motor. I have also heard that these motor's love lots of air and to put your foot into it to keep the motor breathing freely, any truth to this? So I don't want to do anything really crazy. Like I said I drive the truck every day and pull a 24ft gooseneck livestock trailer every so often. If that helps with any suggestions on mods. Any advice or pointers for a rookie diesel owner would be great.

·
721 Posts
Options are pillar guages, roof mount over rearview mirror, lower dash mount, and behind the steering wheel mounts. These vary from single up to 4 depending what you want. As for mods I like also a fuel pressure guage to monitor fuel pressure and the fuel filters. I highly suggest a coolant filter by pass system for the protection of your internal oil cooler and EGR cooler systems.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can I find out some more info about the coolant filter by pass system? As far as gauges go I was thinking pillar but I was thinking I seen some where on here, that someone had a gauge that was digital. And mounted on the dash that you plugged into the port under the dash. Am i thinking right, if such a thing is available I'm thinking it would be a lot easier to install. Any insight into such a setup would be great.

·
46 Posts
1st thing i would do is put a really good alarm on it !! I was lucky enough to get 6 whole days out of my new 06 diesel before someone else thought is was theirs ....Fords only take 10 seconds to get into threw the cheap door handles ...So that would definately be the #1 priority in my book ....Then i would do gauges , coolant filter and the upgraded ford spring to get fuel pressure up ...

·
46 Posts
i think you may also be talking about the sct livewire maybe? ...It monitors temps and such .

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the SCT livewire display all the important temps(exhaust,fuel pressure and so forth) Does anyone sell a coolant kit for this filter setup? How often do the filters need changed out?

·
46 Posts
Mike ...all the vendors on this site basically sell the coolant filter kit and the sct tuner / livewire .....check them out :)

·
227 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are all the coolant filter kits the same or is one preferred over the other? Thanks for the links about the livewire, when you buy one of these do they also include custom tunes or is that extra? The livewire looks like the way to go when you look at cost and everything it does.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts