The Diesel Garage banner

new diesel owner

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  killerbee 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2004.5 duramax 2500HD. It has a 6" lift with 35's. The truck is everything I wanted and more. It just rolled over 100k on the way home from purchasing it. I am not an over heater as of yet and want to avoid being one. I bought the truck to tow a 22' camp trailer and for work to haul my job box from job site to job site.
So I guess my questions are; What do I need to do to keep from over heating, and what do I look for to see if its alredy been done?
The truck is origionally from California and has holes where the 5th wheel hitch use to be in the bed.
Also I would like to get a programmer for the truck, the only reason I want to do that is for the towing, and fuel milage. I dont need a bunch of power that I dont plan on using.
Any info would be helpful, thanx!

#2 ·
How big is your job box ?

A stock LLY shouldn't have any issues with a 22 ft trailer. With that said there are some things you can/should do, such as the turbo mouthpiece

Additionally, you probably don't want to hear it, but the 35's probably aren't conducive to mileage and will affect your final gear ratio. I say probably since I have no idea what the actual outside diameter and circumference of those tires actually are, but as a general rule, the bigger the tires, the less the mileage on these trucks as it is moving the power band to speed range around

#3 ·
My job box isn't big at all, but I didn't have a truck to haul it. I know the bigger tires decrease fuel milage, I've had a few lifted trucks. I was just curious if a programmer would help with the towing and fuel milage. I am going to put 4" exhaust strait piped from the down pipe back, cold air intake and a larger turbo mouth piece. I was told by our local diesel performance shop that increasing flow would deffinantly cool it down. I just don't want to spend money on something I don't need to. I am also putting a programmer in it so I can monitor egt's, and maybe bump up fuel economy.

#4 ·
Mainly, induction overhaul, and tuning. There is going to be a big benefit in getting your airbox IAT under control when the fan comes on. The stock settup is a feedback nightmare of runaway IAT. This, along with system airflow inefficiency, is the cause of premature overheating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.