The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Interstate 8.5X16 enclosed trailer from my uncle. He bought it new a few years ago and has put less than 1000 miles on it. Got it for a steal at $2500 for use for my party rental company. I'd like to make it into my main trailer.

But unlike my current Doolitle 7x16 bellow. I'd like to build it up as light as possible. The racking put together by the previous owner in the doolittle is heavy as hell and you just can't fit anything in there.

What is the "lightest" strongest way to add a racking solution in this trailer? I've been looking at comercial pallet racking which has the ratings to hold the weight I need but there heavy. The racking at menards is a good mix of light and sturdy but it is not wide enough. I'd have to hack out the cross bars and modify it to be a full 4' wide not 3' wide. Could build my own racking out of wood but it would be heavy if I build it to suport the weight I need. What would you suggest?

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a party rental company. What would be on the drivers side of the trailer. Would be about 20-40 folding tables. In front of that would be 200-300 folding chairs. On the passenger side would be pipe, fittings and misc items for my canopy's. Front of the trailer would be canopy tops.

If you look at the pic of my current trailer. All the weight is on the tonge with tables and chairs in the front of the trailer.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
My dad's company, Used Equipment Source, does custom pallet racking. Not sure if the shipping would be too excessive between OR and WI though. His number is 503-255-3344.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
1,836 Posts
One possibility is E-trac. Nearly the capacity of pallet racks but go togather like an erector set. Pinch the clip and set the part aside.

You probably want to look at the weight distribution if the hitch is heavy.

One way to cut the weight of cargo control is to use x-braces like scaffolding does, that way things don't need gussets and braces.

The stuff is not cheap unless you scrap an electr4onics trailer.

keydl

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
instead of 2x4 lumber you could use steel studs boxed at least for some of it.

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will e-track shelving hold 300 chairs that will weight in at 2100lbs?
I didn't think it was that sturdy. I have been looking at auctions for used comercial pallet racking and found quite a bit. But now that I'm looking for it I can't find any.

·
1,836 Posts
I have loaded cars on E-trac with the aluminum cross braces. They sell light duty stuff, so check the ratings.

If you want to set a post between floor beams - use an angle to hold up the floor and bolt/weld things into place. Several years ago I pulled a drom electronics van and learned to weld with stacked batteries, I carried a little iron and would add bits to hold things in place, after most of a year I read the scale ticket and spent a day cutting most of the bits off.

For example - you want to rack chairs, 4 rows along the side - 2 out from the wall and 2 high. Bottom is a no brainer, 2 pieced of 1 1/2 x 1/8 angle laid on the floor with gussets welded for 10 chairs so they don't skid and shift. Second layer is a bit more complicated, needs 4 ledges for the chairs to set on. One can bolt to the wall. center has to tee and it would be very nice if the outer 2 would set out to un/load the bottom. Spacing gussets for 4 chairs will encourage packing 4 to the trip and ease counting.

If the tables rack on end at an angle, 1x4's padded with carpet and 2x4 wrapped with carpet and plastic cleats to prevent sliding. Bolt a padded 2x4 to the wall with footman loops or eyebolts to tie the tables in place. Setting the cleats at 4 tables makes counting easier.

Smaller number of chairs on the upper conforms to the angle of the tables to make things more combact.

For pipe, I like chain and angle racks. Angle bolted to the wall and top, chain bolted to the angle at the floor so it will wrap pipe laid on the floor and hook to the angle. second and higher have an angle bolted with a pivot bolt to the angle on the wall and a chain bolted about 1/3rd the length of the angle higher on the wall angle and the tip of the 'shelf' angle. pipe sets on the chain and the weight sets the droop of the chain and the width of the shelf. When unloaded the 'shelves' fold to the wall and secure with bungees..

Deliver the furniture, fold the inside and go get the bussing cabinets and feed from the kitchen. Clear the tables to the bussing cabinets and stack the tables while the cabinets go to the pearl divers. Then return and load most of the tables as thew party slows down. More than 1/2 the work is done when the party is over.

keydl

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We laid out the trailer today. Used one shelf from the old trailer. And picked up three ends and four cross braces from menards. Had to shorten two of the cross braces to make it work but should hold up just fine. Need to find a bunch of etrac for straping down the tables and chairs. Friend is welding up some pieces to hold most of my pipe. And should have it completed and everything back in the trailer by wesday. Will get some pics up then.

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the new trailer and what we came up with for racking so far.

Tables and chairs will be on the rack bellow. On a carpeted sheet of 1/2" plywood. And will be adding e-track to the wall to strap them to.

This side will be for all my pipe, fitting bins and other misc stuff. In front on each side will be wire shelving on each side for tops.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts