·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
February 8, 2010

To: All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealerships
Subject: Aftermarket Modifications – Warranty Cancellation

BACKGROUND
Aftermarket companies (referred to as "tuners") attempt to increase an engine's torque and power output beyond the design limits which may cause powertrain failures. This is often accomplished by modifying the engine calibration (referred to as "chipping") but may also include modifications or adjustments to other components. Per the Warranty Guide that is provided to the customer and the Warranty & Policy Manual, failures resulting from modifications are not warranted by Ford Motor Company.

All powertrains are subject to warranty cancellation if a modification causes a failure. For the 3.5L EcoBoost technical service bulletin TSB 10-2-6 was published to enable your technicians to determine:

If a powertrain failure resulted from an unauthorized modification
If the engine, transmission, or entire powertrain warranty should be cancelled
Per the inspection process included in this TSB a Ford Motor Company inspector may assist with this analysis. When the inspection process clearly indicates that a failure was caused by an unauthorized modification/alteration the repair should not be completed under Warranty and, using the following process, the vehicle's remaining Engine, Transmission, or Powertrain warranty should be cancelled.

WARRANTY CANCELLATION PROCESS
To initiate a warranty cancellation on an affected vehicle, submit a warranty cancellation request form through FMCDealer.com. This on-line form can be accessed as follows:

FMCDealer.com
Select Parts & Service tab
Select Warranty Administration & Parts Return
Select Warranty Cancellation / Reinstatement Request Form
Complete and submit this form on-line.
Once the warranty is cancelled an OASIS message will advise all dealerships that the vehicle is no longer eligible for warranty coverage.

·
Powerstroker
58 Posts
Which brings up a question.

Why can I not opt to purchase my truck with no powertrain warranty at a slightly reduced price to start with?

Reactions: Steel

·
2,821 Posts
I think the training on this new engine will focus on repairing as well as aftermarket detection more than any previous scenario. Chris

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
It still comes down to the dealership. Ford has been hard on warrenty claims since the 6.0 fiasco. Why would it change.

·
Mafia member #6
1,714 Posts
I hope Ford will raise the powertrain to 100,000 and match everyone else.

·
477 Posts

·
571 Posts
February 8, 2010

To: All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealerships
Subject: Aftermarket Modifications – Warranty Cancellation

BACKGROUND
Aftermarket companies (referred to as "tuners") attempt to increase an engine's torque and power output beyond the design limits which may cause powertrain failures. This is often accomplished by modifying the engine calibration (referred to as "chipping") but may also include modifications or adjustments to other components. Per the Warranty Guide that is provided to the customer and the Warranty & Policy Manual, failures resulting from modifications are not warranted by Ford Motor Company.

All powertrains are subject to warranty cancellation if a modification causes a failure. For the 3.5L EcoBoost technical service bulletin TSB 10-2-6 was published to enable your technicians to determine:

If a powertrain failure resulted from an unauthorized modification
If the engine, transmission, or entire powertrain warranty should be cancelled
Per the inspection process included in this TSB a Ford Motor Company inspector may assist with this analysis. When the inspection process clearly indicates that a failure was caused by an unauthorized modification/alteration the repair should not be completed under Warranty and, using the following process, the vehicle's remaining Engine, Transmission, or Powertrain warranty should be cancelled.

WARRANTY CANCELLATION PROCESS
To initiate a warranty cancellation on an affected vehicle, submit a warranty cancellation request form through FMCDealer.com. This on-line form can be accessed as follows:

FMCDealer.com
Select Parts & Service tab
Select Warranty Administration & Parts Return
Select Warranty Cancellation / Reinstatement Request Form
Complete and submit this form on-line.
Once the warranty is cancelled an OASIS message will advise all dealerships that the vehicle is no longer eligible for warranty coverage.
So they should not cancel your warranty if you leave a tuner, exhaust, or intake on to have warranty work done. Such as a window problem or such.

·
477 Posts
So they should not cancel your warranty if you leave a tuner, exhaust, or intake on to have warranty work done. Such as a window problem or such.

no but I a, sure if they see it (tuner) they will notate it in the system. Just take it out. not sure who is having warranty issues with air intakes and exhausts. i guess i am lucky to have a great dealer. they installed they stuff and my exhaust has no cat

·
2,710 Posts
Ford seems to be getting pissy about Mod's ? . . . so why starting with the V-6 ? . . .

wouldn't the V6 be the last engine to be built up ?

Mike

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
they are gettinn some pretty impressive results out of these direct injected twin turbos. Ive aldready heard of a 12sec SHO. Just tunning alone.

·
2,710 Posts
Really ? . . .

I guess i'm too old skool, I just never thought about souping up 4 & 6 cylinder engines . . .

Mike

·
Sumo Blue
527 Posts
Really ? . . .

I guess i'm too old skool, I just never thought about souping up 4 & 6 cylinder engines . . .

Mike

No way you've missed the import revolution since the first Fast and the Furious movie. :haha

·
2,710 Posts
I guess so, I have a Comanche with the AMC 150 I-4 TBI in it, Truck dose all i ask of it has plenty of power for what i use it for i did put a fancy exhaust on it which woke it up a bit more, but the thought of getting more out of it never crossed my mind . . .

Nor has adding extra power to any of my I-6 & V-6 truck's . . . I figured they are what they are ?

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts