The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, Im new to the site and to the diesel world. I just gota 2002 CC SB and I love it. but i do have a problem, ive got a squeeking belt. ive been to the site before and have read that the idler and tensioner pulleys are known for going bad. so far ive replaced the tensioner, both idlers, and the alternator. i still have the squeek!!! are the water pumps also known for going bad? the truck has 117,000 miles on it and is BONE stock, nothing has ever been replaced of changed on it(and i meen nothing).

I need to get this fixted so i can start putting on the fun parts..

thanks in advance, and im glad to be here,

ray

·
3,939 Posts
Welcome Ray!

You forgot to replace one other thing.....the belt itself. Its been found that most serpentines seem to want to squeal on a Dmax. The only ones that dont seem to have a voice are the stock GM belt and the Goodyear Gatorback. The Goodyear belt will probably be cheaper.

Also, before you buy the belt, do a check of the pulley alignment. Use a straightege and check that the pulleys are all in line from the crank. You could very well have one thats slightly skewed from the rest, and that will create a squeak. P/S pulley would be my first guess.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks tom. i was going to try a cheap fix (belt dressing) this afternoon to see if it was the belt itself before i go off and replace the waterpump. it doesnt seem to have any coolong issues, but like i said, im new to the diesel game. it runs about 185 around town and around 195-200 cruising at 80mph. on the highway. ill check alignment while im in their this afternoon too.

thanks again,

ray

·
3,939 Posts
DONT USE BELT DRESSING! Serpentines aren't like V-belts! It'll make the problem worse.

your temps are spot-on, so no worries there.

·
BUG JUICER and
1,239 Posts
If you do replace the belt, scoff the old one, and put it under the back seat, next to the spare fuel filter. You will love having a spare when it flys off in the middle of nowhere.

Welcome Ray

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i take it you dont like belt dressing. ill just get a new belt and see how that goes( and ill put the old one under the back seat with the extra alt. that i have now)LOL...

so fill me in on the extra fuel filter. is that an item that i should take a look at?

thanks again for all the fellas

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, so i went to the dealer and got a new belt. now im wondering why i didnt do that in the first place. it worked like a charm. thanks for the help.

now im off to start with the fun parts, i think im going to start off at the bottom and put a good filter on it. does that sound like a good idea or should i just jump into the edge/juice?

ray

·
BUG JUICER and
1,239 Posts
yes, get half a dozen fuel filters. This is the season for replacing. When it gets loaded (often due to a bad batch of fuel) you may not be close to home. Easy to replace, and hard to find (unless it is under the seat). :)

Give Eric Merchant a call. he will take care of you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts