The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so for the past few months my truck has been showing signs that its time for injectors and o rings, i get blue smoke on start up, the truck is a real dog under throttle and she runs a little shaky at idle, what i really want to do is go with some baby swamp injectors instead of stock ones again and while im at it id like to throw an intake and tune in, id go with a swamps custom tuner and order it with my injectors, however my only worry is that where the truck has 240,000 miles if it will be able to handle it or if im just screwing myself over...any thoughts? i wouldnt run a high hp tune all the time

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Well, not knowing what year truck you have, there are a couple things to think about. If it's an OBS, then jumping from stock to the Baby Swamps is a healthy jump, tuning will be almost mandatory, but you should be able to get it to run great without much else needed. If you've got a Duper Duty, again, the chip is mandatory, but wore not looking to gain quite as much from stock to the final result.

Make sure your HPOP and IPR are healthy, and with those miles, you need to make sure the valve cover gaskets and under cover harnesses are in good shape, and do glow plugs while you're in there if they haven't been done.

Plan ahead and look at everything related to the injector swap labor as if it's a parts cost only repair or preventative maintenance. If you budget for those extras, it could save you some grief when you're doing the job because you'll be prepared.

Sent by my right thumb!

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
97 OBS, and okay thanks. The glow plugs were just done last winter and as far as it seems the HPOP and everything seems fine too

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Ok, the only other question would be if your truck has CA emissions. If it doesn't you have 98cc single shots, which makes jumping to larger injectors easier. If it does, you have 130cc split shots, making a chip nearly mandatory, unless you just jump up to a Super Duty AD code 150cc injector. If you've got single shots now, Baby Swamps are 150cc single shots a and would be great.

Either 150cc injector will run good, no matter which emissions style your truck is, and both will be safe long term to run even moderate performance tuning with. If you don't have a pyrometer, you should get one, and if you have an automatic, a trans temp gauge. Boost is usually the third gauge everyone runs, but it isn't really that important on a 7.3, especially an OBS with a stock turbo, I'd run an HPOP/ICP gauge to monitor high pressure oil instead.

Sent by my right thumb!

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i talked to my mechanic and he said if i do the injectors and the tunes im most likely going to destroy a bearing or the bottom end of the motor..he aslo said the tranny wont hold up but i saw that coming, however im a little sketchy on destroying my bottom end...the guy doesnt really get into performance stuff, but he does seem to know what hes doing, any thoughts?

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Get another opinion from someone who works on these engines regularly.

Also, if you want a little reassurance about the health of your engine, order an oil analysis kit from Blackstone Labs and send in a sample. It can help identify things like excessive bearing wear, fuel and coolant contamination etc.

Sent by my right thumb!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts