The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As promised I installed my S&B Intake and just letting you guys know what I've noticed. (I still haven't modified the stock exhaust to see what the difference really is) I live at 4,500 feet.

EGT's: I may need to re-install my stock intake and write now some solid numbers to compare but in short I didn't notice a much of a decrease in EGT's. On Crazy Larry I still hit the defuel setting pretty fast. Even on the other power levels I still hit defuel relatively fast and before I know it I'm running at stock. At stock I'm still hitting close to 1200. I was hitting 1250 before so maybe 50 degrees or so at stock.

Power: I did notice better throttle response. More power? Who knows it was making a bunch of power before and after, maybe a little but nothing too noticeable.

Sound: Nice turbo whine!!!:woot: That sounds awesome. You can hear the wastegate too but not too much noise at all. Still just about as quiet as stock at cruising throttle.

Gas Mileage: This is where I noticed the biggest change. Now I have not calculated any mileage by hand so I can't say how accurate the computer is but all numbers are from the onboard computer so at least we are talking apples to apples. All numbers were collected with a 10 minute warm period each day. I drove about the same mileage at each stage.

Stock with 37 inch tires (No mods at all): Computer read 10 around town and 12.5 on the highway. I figure it was about 15% off due to the large tire size so add roughly 15% to those numbers to get the right numbers.

Add Bully Dog, Crazy Larry setting, Recalibrated speedo and accuracy checked with GPS: Computer read 16 around town and 19.5 on the highway.

Add S&B Intake: Cumpter reads about 17.6 around town and on a 250 mile trip the computer read 23.7 That was truly unbelieveable and frankly makes me wonder how accurate the computer really is. After 47 miles around town and 249 on the highway the tank took 15.2 gallons and read a little over a half a tank full.

S&B intake with Bully Dog on stock setting: Computer read 14 around town and 16.4 on 50 miles on the highway.

Anyway high flow muff is coming next....I'll let you all know.

·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add that I had the tranny re-built at the same time I did the intake.

I also forgot to mention that when I added the BullyDog I started running Diesel Kleen + cetane boost with SlickDiesel. The bottle says "Cleans Injectors", "Boosts Power", 'Reduces Exhaust Emissions", "Decreases Fuel Consumption", and says it lubricates the pump. I have no idea if this has anything to do with anything but I just thought I should add that I'm running that.

·
62 Posts
I know on my 06, the computer is off 4-5 mpg's with my XZT on but within 1 mpg when running stock.

·
91 Posts
If you did that many intown and highway miles and took 15.2 gallons thats just over 19 mpg on paper, thats good. I would think you are happy with that mileage,

·
Registered
38 Posts
S&B are suppose to be the best there really is and when you figure in that they are atleast $100 cheaper they should be a good buy.

·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem. It was a piece of cake. The only pain was I had to loosen and move the plastic fender well to access one of the nuts that go under the box but I had done in 45 minutes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts