The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i now have a problem with the truck not cranking very fast. i just replaced the starter and alternator. the batteries are less than a year old. all have been tested by autozone and checked out good. the problem is that after my truck sits for more than half an hour it won't start. sounds like the batteries are dead when i start cranking on it. i did find one melted ground wire coming off the starter relay but have fixed it. any help is appreciated as i need this truck everyday for work.

·
567 Posts
Where did you get the starter from? I got a cheap starter for mine once and it was trying to draw over 600amps while cranking.

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got it at autozone.. and i had them test it for excessive draw along with o reilly auto parts too.. both came back with the same tests.. batteries, starter and alternator were all good... i talked to a mechanic today and he said something about a ground strap from the battery to the body somewhere

·
keepin faith in the 6.0L!
96 Posts
I had the exact same problem. I replaced ALL of the battery cables. Both + and both - cables. Use a good quality cable and connectors and grease everything. Clean the area where the -ground cables bolt to the block. This worked for me.
Have you checked your voltage regulator? Mine wasn't bad, but the plug connector was bad due to corrosion. I cut it off and put separate spade terminals for each wire. Hope this helps.

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i added a ground cable form the battery to the body hoping this helps.. if not then i am going to pull the grounds off the block and clean them. how do you know if the connectors on the alternator are bad? i had all that tested and they told me they were good. the voltage regulator better be good it came new with the alternator.... thanks for the replies though guys!

·
keepin faith in the 6.0L!
96 Posts
The connector at the voltage regulator could be bad. Should be a white 4 wire plug, check it real well. My 85' was a rust bucket, so everything was corroded.
Remember, your battery cables might "look" like they are good, but might not be passing current.

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i understand about them looking alright and not being... so if that plug is bad a can just cut the wires and put spade connectors on? should i maybe do that anyways? oh yeah and the power draw is getting worse cuz i went out and tried to start it this morning and there was absolutely no power.. not even enough to turn on the radio... yesterday it at least tried to roll over... do you think i should replace the ground wires with some new ones or do you maybe think its the positive wire? thanks again for the info

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so maybe this will help... i took the positive battery cable off both batteries and took a test light from the terminal to the cable. it lit up... does that means there is a draw or is that a good thing? also while i was doing that i put the test light probe onto the terminal of the starter relay... it lit up.. but it was the side of the relay that should be hot... but when i probed the side of the relay that should only be hot when the key is turned to start... it lit up also.. does this mean that this is the origin of my draw and if so would it be the starter or the relay? thanks in advance for any info it will definitely come in handy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts