The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a follow-up to the installation of my EGR cooler delete and oil cooler service kit. Finished the work last Thursday afternoon before heading out on a camping trip over the holiday weekend.

You may recall that my trip last weekend, with my new Edge Insight, saw coolant/oil temp differentials in the area of 35*, pushing 40*. A few times, I saw oil temps over 240*. :eek: I have no idea how long I've been running the truck under those conditions...shame on me. On the flip side, using Red Line synthetic engine oil, OAs have come back good.

With the new work complete, this weekend I saw oil/coolant temperature differentials in the 7* or 8* range. Even though it was cooler, I hope to see some of the same on later trips under hotter conditions. And, I didn't puke.
Still don't know if my head gaskets have been compromised, but that's another project when time allows.

Maybe I'm late to the dance here, but if it hasn't been said before, I think coolant and oil temp gauges are an absolute must on our trucks. I'm beginning to think that my EGR cooler was a disaster just waiting to happen.

·
1,661 Posts
What is your oil temps after egr delete and new oil cooler? did you cut up the old erg and oil cooler to see what kind of junk was in thier?:)

·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil temps while towing this holiday weekend "spiked" at 214* but spent most of the time in the 210* area. :thumbsup

·
855 Posts
Wow thats what the oil temp was running at!! I would have never imagine that the oil temp could run that low. I will deffinately get me some more gauges.

·
w_huisman
241 Posts
Spindrift- Do I know you from another forum in the past? Another truck forum? Your screen name rings a bell.

I have yet to see my oil temps hit 210 with my insight, but I'm in for a long tow in a couple of weeks. So I'll probably see it then.

Does the new oil cooler sit out in from of the radiator? Do you have the Ford ESP?

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
what oil cooler delete kit did you use..

·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Spindrift- Do I know you from another forum in the past? Another truck forum? Your screen name rings a bell.

I have yet to see my oil temps hit 210 with my insight, but I'm in for a long tow in a couple of weeks. So I'll probably see it then.

Does the new oil cooler sit out in from of the radiator? Do you have the Ford ESP?

Possibly...in the old days I spent time over at the Diesel Page and Diesel Place, but that was when I was runnin' around in an overpowered Suburban. :haha

I think 210* is pretty darn good. My TT weighs in at 11,500#.

The oil cooler sits in the engine valley. I used the new Ford oil cooler service kit to rebuild the oil cooler. Everything new except the housing. By ESP, I'm assuming you mean Extended Service Plan and no, I don't have it.

·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what oil cooler delete kit did you use..
Bill...I'm assuming you meant the EGR cooler. I used the GOS kit. It's the same kit that is sold by Dfuser.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
i guess im reading the title as you did a New oil cooler and EGR cooler delete(deleting both)

·
w_huisman
241 Posts
Possibly...in the old days I spent time over at the Diesel Page and Diesel Place, but that was when I was runnin' around in an overpowered Suburban. :haha
The "place". Thats it. Here's my old ride.

I think 210* is pretty darn good.

The oil cooler sits in the engine valley. I used the new Ford oil cooler service kit to rebuild the oil cooler. Everything new except the housing. By ESP, I'm assuming you mean Extended Service Plan and no, I don't have it.
Yup, my bad. I must have imagined seeing the term "remote" when you spoke about the oil cooler.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
sure hope a coolant filter is on that truck now if the oil cooler had to be rebuilt.

·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The "place". Thats it. Here's my old ride.
Ahhh...the old Burb. Makes my skin all tingly.

I know this is off topic, but who cares, it's my thread.:haha You might also remember HowieE from The Place. He's my uncle and has a white Burb sitting in his driveway, exactly like yours. He too, saw the error of his ways and got an Ex shortly after me. :thumbsup

·
w_huisman
241 Posts
Yup, I remember HowieE. He had his own website and used to pull one of those stainless (aluminum?) campers.

I'm not sure it was an error to own a 6.5 though. Parts were 10x cheaper for them things. I kind of miss it's simplicity, and if it weren't for the fact that mine burned a 1/2qt of oil for every couple tanks of fuel (230kmiles), I'd probably still own it.

·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Parts were 10x cheaper for them things. I kind of miss it's simplicity.
Got that right. Except for the mods, it was the least expensive vehicle to work on that I ever owned.

·
Pappy
515 Posts
Does Ford sell a rebuild kit for the oil cooler?

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
YES :gotcha

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
NO. :imok

1 - 19 of 19 Posts