Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have aptly named it "Rusty."

I know I have a swap project going, that may never end. I got a call from my Dad Friday and he wanted to go look at a potential project. When I get those calls from my Dad I know I'm about to buy something.
Here is my "fresh from a four year hitch in a barn" 1979 FJ40. It has 79K or 179K on it and I'm not guessing. It was owned by the seller for eight years or some story. It spent the last four years in a barn as a home for Wasps and Mice.

It gets even worse when you get closer.

Custom mud rotted flinstone floor!

Hand fabricated not-so-closing or locking rear door latch.

We got the original wheels also.

And yet another way to reach inside without opening the doors.

Custom free-flow muffler!

New exhaust

So four years in the barn.....
The battery needed charged but it still worked. The fuel pump was out and there was no original replacement mechanical pump available. So a new E30812S later and it ran!

I tried to get video but every time we got it running a new leak in one of the fuel returns would spray fuel all over the place.

We are up in the air on what to do with it. I vote we go topless and have a woods runner. I think Dad actually wants to slick it up and drive it around. My Grandpa had four of these but he always ripped the 2F out and put a 383 and 465 behind it with cut-down 3/4 ton axles. After a morning working on it, I see why he did those swaps.

More to come if we don't sell it.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Very nice Josh, I like it! Whats the motor in it?

Reactions: BombDocDiesel

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
2F, 4.2 Liter Inline 6. It has all of the circa-1979 emissions crap also!

Yes I still need to dress my wiring and relay for the new fuel pump. I ran loom to the pump and ran out. Well, I was too excited to blow four years of crap out of it to go back to the store.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
So.... perfect candidate for a 4BT swap.....

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish. I paid less than a new exhaust costs for it. It took me an hour to get it running. I'm not planning to put a lot into it. Plus we are having a shop built and most of the project money is going toward a 2 post lift.

I almost forgot. The front end is shot!

·
SIXINAROWMAKES'EMGO
271 Posts
aww man i love fj40! thats a decent find, if your not wantin to put alot into my vote is to get it runnin, do some spring overs, trim the fenders a little, throw some 35s in there, 5.29s, and weld the rear end

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aww man i love fj40! thats a decent find, if your not wantin to put alot into my vote is to get it runnin, do some spring overs, trim the fenders a little, throw some 35s in there, 5.29s, and weld the rear end
Do you know anything about the front-end setups on these things? This things looks ready for autocross. It's toed out like crazy. It will be another two weeks or so until I get to work on it again.

·
2,710 Posts
Thats not rusty. . .hell its almost a show truck. . .most around my area start with much worse alot worse and end up with car n truck show award winners. . .

Mike

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still need to knock the 60 pounds or so of mud that has been sitting inside and stuck under this thing for at least four years.

·
Robby Thompson
95 Posts
You found a diamond in the rough. Most of the FJ40s around here are flintstone powered or have the potential for it. If you decide its not worth your time let me know and I will take it off your hands. You have a show piece right there. Fire up the pressure washer and purple power and she will show her true colors. Also if you need parts cheap the junk yard near me is a gold mine for hard to find parts.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You found a diamond in the rough. Most of the FJ40s around here are flintstone powered or have the potential for it. If you decide its not worth your time let me know and I will take it off your hands. You have a show piece right there. Fire up the pressure washer and purple power and she will show her true colors. Also if you need parts cheap the junk yard near me is a gold mine for hard to find parts.
Projects are always up for grabs! You can see my black '76 Step-side 4x4 project sitting in the background.

I need the rear door hardware! I looked at a restoration site and eBay but found jack. They don't stay closed right now.

This is how the PO tried to keep the doors closed. It doesn't cut it!

Notice how the inner pieces are gone?

BTW. I'm really irritated that I have to work next weekend. We were a 99 cent elbow grommet away from having the last return line fixed before we had to call it quits.

·
Robby Thompson
95 Posts
I will be out there later this week and will keep my eyes peeled for you. I know it is a pain in the butt but have you tried craigslist? It is worth a shot. Especially in my neck of the woods. When you get a chance take off whats left of the original latches and see how much rust has built up in there. Last time we restored one of these we had to brace the doors from the inside out with some channel.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will be out there later this week and will keep my eyes peeled for you. I know it is a pain in the butt but have you tried craigslist? It is worth a shot. Especially in my neck of the woods. When you get a chance take off whats left of the original latches and see how much rust has built up in there. Last time we restored one of these we had to brace the doors from the inside out with some channel.
The vertical striker rod is missing on the left door. The lock and horizontal striker/lock rod is missing on the right door. I have found the right side parts but not at a price I am willing to pay.

·
Robby Thompson
95 Posts
Ok. I will see what I can do. Usually this guy doesnt like to separate the door parts without sellin the entire door. That is why I was asking about the rust inside the door itself. Are you going to try to keep everything original outside and in or you just looking for hard to find parts?

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok. I will see what I can do. Usually this guy doesnt like to separate the door parts without sellin the entire door. That is why I was asking about the rust inside the door itself. Are you going to try to keep everything original outside and in or you just looking for hard to find parts?
I really appreciate the help. If Grandpa had not built these toys we wouldn't own it. I wish we had helped him with his. We are fairly clueless on anything not GM or diesel.

We really just need the doors to open and close, oh and stay closed on the back doors. We already have to replace the front door handles, as those break easily. One is already gone and the other is almost finished. I found those on eBay for $20.

There are a few little irritating pieces we need to replace to seal it up. The rear window vent closures are broken and so on.

We are not planning to restore unless I find a fiberglass tub on the cheap.

·
Robby Thompson
95 Posts
I will let you know what all I find. Maybe save you some money. I will pm you later this week.

·
2,710 Posts
4.2 I-6 to 3.9 I-4 ? LOL :haha no no a nice 5.9L I-6 would be great i have seen it done but them 4.2's seem to do rather well. . .

even the most Diesel enthusiast should have at least 1 Gasser in stock. . .

Mike

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Looks good :rock

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
4.2 I-6 to 3.9 I-4 ? LOL :haha no no a nice 5.9L I-6 would be great i have seen it done but them 4.2's seem to do rather well. . .

even the most Diesel enthusiast should have at least 1 Gasser in stock. . .

Mike
A 4BT or 4BD1 would be more than enough motor. The weight of either one keeps it from being an option.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
A 4BT or 4BD1 would be more than enough motor. The weight of either one keeps it from being an option.
+1. :thumbsup The 5.9L 6BT is a great engine, but its heavy. The 4BT weighs quite a bit less and would have plenty of torque for that relatively light Toyota. :happymugs

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.