The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

It's that wonderful time of the year again, and to me that means making or buying something vehicle related for all of my presents. My girlfriend has a 2009 Super Duty king ranch and I was looking to do some cheap, light (I figure that goes with cheap), and reversible modifications.

I'm not looking to spend much, but I don't mind doing any DIY projects that free up a little horsepower or mileage. This is a daily driver and she uses it to tow horse trailers as well so it needs to be reliable.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, as I know very little about diesels, the 6.4, or even trucks in general.

-Alex

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking it easy on me. Is the DPF the most restrictive part of the exhaust? Does the DOC/CAT flow enough for most horsepower gains? The truck is still under warranty, but this is all nice to know for future modifications.

Also, after some reading, I assume the DPF and its regen/exhaust cleaning cycle is the cause of her low power under acceleration in some cases, especially towing?

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
For the ease of install and removal, I recommend doing a DPF/DOC delete. If you just delete the DPF, there are several more bolts involved and a gasket that would probably need to be replaced before putting the DPF back together with the DOC.

During active regen, there is a decent loss of power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Will doing this, and maybe an EGR block off result in any gains on its own from the stock management trying to optimize fueling for the increased flow, or are those three things only done in preparation for a Chip/reflash of the ECU?

·
143 Posts
In my opinion, if I were to do it all over again, I started w/ Diablo Sport predator tuner. It is a hand held programmer that you reflash the ecm with & then unplug. It gives you several horsepower settings to choose from also. You won't have to do any mods & can be changed back to stock in about 5 mins. Also the print isn't traceable to ford. Now it isn't at all what Spartan has given me w/ all deleted but it was half & gave me about 3 mpgs over stock. This is from my experience on my 08. Go to Diablo's website & check them out. I ran the Diablo & changed to a aftermarket air filter in the stock box. I'm still running that also.

·
143 Posts
I ran it for about 20k miles, regened w/ no problems. I sold it to a fellow worker who has been running it on a 08 for about a year now w/ no known problems. Something must of been messed up w/ the regen process on yours..???

·
FukeneH
197 Posts
I ran it for about 20k miles, regened w/ no problems. I sold it to a fellow worker who has been running it on a 08 for about a year now w/ no known problems. Something must of been messed up w/ the regen process on yours..???
i know of 2 others,not from forums that had same happen to them as jeff,one did 3 dpf's before he got rid of it,but he also drove it like it was stolen

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
i know of 2 others,not from forums that had same happen to them as jeff,one did 3 dpf's before he got rid of it,but he also drove it like it was stolen
I had a DPF go bad with a Superchips Flashpaq. Got rid of that tuner when the DPF was replaced. Bought the DiabloSport Predator. Within 2 months I had a clogged DPF and an overheated VGT. I finally got smart after that and deleted the DPF.

·
24 Posts
You said cheap... whats your price range?

I have found tuner, CAI and DPF for as cheap as $1200 but I would rather go with a full exhaust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts