The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just purchased a 05 6.0. Need some pointers on major issues I've seen around. This is bone stock so I don't think the head bolts will be an issue please correct me if I am wrong. I was mainly wanting input on the egr cooler. If I keep the egr valve clean should I need to even bother getting aftermarket or a egr deleate. All help and opinions are welcome thanks in advance

·
1,324 Posts
Welcome. Take a look at the stickies. Get a scangauge II.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in tn no regulation where I live. If I don't respond quickly I'm sorry. I have 4 kids so don't have much time. Still any help is greatly appreciated. I read a post from earlier and will need to do some research on diagnosing problems using egr. I'm not planning on doing any mods. So if it's not really needed I will keep it like it is.

·
3,051 Posts
Monitor the vitals with a ScanGaugeII and you can be reliable bone stock as long as you keep strict maintenance practices, change the oil every 5k miles and use Ford Motorcraft or Racor oil and fuel filters only.

A 5w40 synthetic diesel rated motor oil is best for all weather conditions from freezing winters to hot summers.

Hang around the forum as much as time allows, and you will understand and be better informed on the 6.0L.

Heres a link to a pre-programmed ScanGaugeII for the 6.0l.
http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/ScanGauge_II_Digital_Data_Monitor_p/scan-gauge-data-monitor.htm

Harry

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes maintenance is my job so that will be done to the letter. I will look into getting the scan gauge. I will check in and read up as much as possible. Knowledge is key. I have seen a lot of good post here. If you don't see me post anything is because I'm a newbie to desiels and have no input but I will be reading and learning. Thanks for the advice.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
One of the better modifications that you can do to the 6.0l is to install a coolant filter. You can assemble your own if you are handy or buy one from online. There are several good ones out there. This will help keep the coolant clean and prevent the oil cooler from plugging up and causing EGR issues.

As also stated before, change you oil consistently at 5K. This is critical for the 6.0l.

Welcome to the diesel world.

Reactions: harry6.0

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I'm new forgive me. I do have a coolant filter installed. I thought it was factory. This was a one owner vehicle and he was meticulous about maintenance and knew a lot more than I could take in the few weeks I have talked to him. As far as power mods there are none. As far as I know there is nothing else he has put on. I know the egr is factory. I will give him a call tomorrow and make sure. That way everyone has the best info and I don't waste anyone's time. Sorry again for the ignorance

·
3,051 Posts
No need to apologize, were all here to learn and keep up with the latest info. You are a welcome addition to the garage.

Harry

Reactions: jdydiesel

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I changed the oil transmission fluid both fuel filters and coolant filter yesterday after I got her home. Air filter was good as well as all the rest mentioned but I like to start my logs fresh. Is there anything I missed I need to check. I'm pulling egr on Sunday to check to see how its doing

·
3,051 Posts
Sounds like your off to a great start so far, no other recommendations other than get a ScanGaugeII as soon as you can, and get to know the vitals on the truck.

Enjoy your new rig!

Harry

·
1,324 Posts
Use Motorcraft or Racor filters. Use Ford Gold coolant unless it has been properly converted over to CAT ELC. Don't mix coolants. I made that mistake when I got my truck and had issues quickly.

Archoil 9100 works great in the oil I recommend it. I get no kickbacks of revenue for saying this I pay for mine. Not even a sticker. :). :slap Harry 6.0.

·
3,051 Posts
I still have not received any stickers either, you would be the first to get one if I ever do, sorry Weld.

Lizard...One thing that came to thought is when you changed your coolant filter, I hope it was a plain "Non-Charged, Chemical Free Coolant Filter" especially if you are running the Gold coolant.

A pre-charged coolant filter that has additives in it can cause issues with the oil cooler coolant passages clogging, especially if you still have egr active like yours.

Harry

Reactions: Weld engineer

·
1,324 Posts
I still have not received any stickers either, you would be the first to get one if I ever do, sorry Weld.

Lizard...One thing that came to thought is when you changed your coolant filter, I hope it was a plain "Non-Charged, Chemical Free Coolant Filter" especially if you are running the Gold coolant.

A pre-charged coolant filter that has additives in it can cause issues with the oil cooler coolant passages clogging, especially if you still have egr active like yours.

Harry
Just giving you a hard time. :poke. I Like products from companies who worry about the product not how cool the free hats are. I get grief from customers all the time that my competitors have cool swag I always tell them that's nice I'm here to fix your problems if you want a t-shirt call them.

·
1,213 Posts
The 05 and up EGR coolers are the weak design. If you have the money, then replacing it with a "Bullet Proof Diesel" EGR cooler is a good idea.

Before ever digging into the motor, monitor the oil and coolant temperatures after the engine has completely warmed up. Post up the results. If the difference in temperatures (oil vs coolant) when running a steady 60 mph speed is greater than 15 degrees, then you also need a new oil cooler.

IMO, you should also measure the difference in temperatures when running a careful WOT trial (trying to achieve maximum boost without just slamming the pedal to the floor). This is the Ford prescribed test, but many people do not like the vagueness in this test. BTW - IMO it is not wise to do WOT runs unless you have a fully warmed-up engine (195 degrees F).

I periodically do both tests. My temperature differentials actually drop a little w/ the WOT test. I think that is indicative of a healthy oil cooler and water pump.

You also need to watch the boost. There are limits and a stuck turbo or a bad EGR valve can start a chain of events that are undesirable.

If you haven't noticed by now - the knowledgeable 6.0L owners are ALL going to recommend some type of gauge system!

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What does imo mean also wot not sure what that is haven't had time to get a scan guage yet. All I have to go by is gauges in truck and system checks. So far so good. No smoke at all from cold starts or warm starts. More info on these are helpful it has been a hectic week wich is my normal week so I'm not on here much.

·
1,213 Posts
IMO - in my opinion

WOT - Wide Open Throttle

·
1,324 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok haven't been on lately but everything looks to be running smooth. Next oil change I will pull egr and see what it looks like. The temps look to be same using stock gauges. Haven't had much time lately to get a scan gauge or anything really. Planning on changing center console with a jump seat next weekend

1 - 20 of 23 Posts