The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 F-250. My wife bought the truck while I was deployed at a local dealership. I don't think anything has been done to the truck other than a lift kit, rims, and tires. I've heard all the bad things and good things about this engine. I've have ordered an Edge Evolution Programmer and am hoping that it is a good programmer. I'm not really looking to build a lot of HP, looking more at improving the mpg. I'm currently getting around 14mpg. It may be better or worse though. I don't think that the speedo is set for the tire size. My GPS tells me that I'm going 66 when the speedo says 60. The parts manager at a local dealership told me not to use aftermarket air filters because it won't work as well as the factory at stopping dirt and could cause turbo problems. Just hoping someone could give me some help with the advise I've been given so far.

·
2,821 Posts
I don't know anything about the Evolution, though I'm sure someone here might. Most of us use SCT with stock or custom tunes. I prefer SCT as it accounts for the transmission as much as the engine. Just my thoughts, Chris

·
864 Posts
Excellent choice on truck man. I hear that the evolution fries transmissions because it adds power but doesnt change trans settings to handle the power. Most here run SCT because they are the 6.0 leaders and they can be custom tuned for your truck along with boosting your trans fluid flow and harder shifts to handle all the extra power. SCT tunes for your tire and gear changes also along with many other things like using your turbo as a jake brake so to speak and just so many things that your 6.0l has to offer.

·
97 Posts
Regarding your Air Filter question, the STOCK filter is your best bet unless you are making over 500 hp. It holds tons of dirt. There are mods you can make to increase airflow to the stock airbox as well, i.e. Zoodad Mod.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I have looked at several different forums and this one has been the most beneficial by far. I have a lot of upgrades that I want to do to it, just want to make sure that I make the right choices so I don't mess up my truck.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
gauges! since the evolution will do that for you you have that part pretty well taken care of. i also ALWAYS recommend getting a fuel pressure gauge no matter what. low fuel pressure kills injectors. it could be because of clogged filters or it could be a weak or going out FICM. stock air filter works just fine. id recommmend a CCV reroute to get the oil out of the CAC tubes, intercooler and intake. a good 3.5" DP to 4" exhaust will help. as for tuner, well, SCT is THE way to go. if you are not going to be running the truck real hard the evolution should be alright. a coolant filter is a good thing to add as well. hmm... im probably forgetting some things but that should get you going pretty damn well.

Garrett

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Request an OASIS on here to see where your truck stood when it became part of the family, if you have not done so already. This can tell you if it's already been in for numerous EGR or other problems. Edge works fine. If you want to get rid of the EGR and save yourself a lot of headache, do it soon. Byrd's truck had 62K on it and had already been through two EGR coolers and a couple turbo shafts. I'm not sure if the '04 is better or worse, but worth looking into. http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84845

Garrett also has a DIY EGR cooler delete thread on here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm new to a lot of this stuff so there are a lot of things that I'm not familiar with. Like the coolant filter and CCV reroute. I looked on a parts website and nothing came up for a coolant filter. If you could give me a little more information on these two things it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
1,661 Posts
I'm new to a lot of this stuff so there are a lot of things that I'm not familiar with. Like the coolant filter and CCV reroute. I looked on a parts website and nothing came up for a coolant filter. If you could give me a little more information on these two things it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
look in the vendor link on top of the screen and look int dfuser they have the filter kit thier are also DIY kits that you can scroung around for parts to save a couple of bucks.
the CCV mod you will find in the ford modificaion thread,

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts

·
1,060 Posts
First off welcome, I have been on here for only a few months and completely new to owning a diesel. The guys and gals on here have been very helpful and informative for me. I have spent many nights reading and researching information, hints, and how to's. I have read copied and pasted so many things in the search box to find out more info. Always feeling like there is more to learn. There are a few things to watch for and to save for with these trucks. Have fun reading.
Fallow the suggestions above from the other guys and take what you will with the info and experiences from everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts