The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Jim.
I am currently shopping around for an F250.
I have never owned a diesel truck before in my life and I need all the help and info I can get.
With all the Sites, boards and threads I can go nuts reading them all.
It is easy to point out all the bad things that is wrong with a certain nake and model of each truck.
I am pretty much stuck on the design of the Fords over the Chevy/GMC and Dodges as far as super dutys go.
I will be upgrading from an 2003 F150 4.6L to a 09 F250 6.4L or newer. (I hope).

My questions are this:

As far as preventitive maintenace goes it looks like there is a lot with you compare it to gasoline engine?

I am sure you can list tons of things that have to be done every month and that would be great.

What is this about draining the water from ther fuel every other fill up?
How opten is the interval for changing the oil?
Is DPF detele a good thing? If so do you have to have a tuner gizmo with it.

My towing reqirements right now is I have a 1984 Buick Regal and an opent car hauler. My F150 stuggles pulling this and I want to upgrade to an enclosed trailer.

Since my knowledg of diesel engines is very very limited should I just stick with an F250 that has a 5.4L gas?

Any help would be wonderful. (even the sarcastic kind can make me laugh)

Jim

·
147 Posts
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?listingId=103275129&CMP=usedInv

Thoughts ? Suggesting?
What can I ask the dealer to make this the best deal I can get?
It has everything I want and them some.

Or should I run for the hills and not get this truck?

I am not in a super hurry to buy. My F150 is running fine with 160,000 miles on it.

Jim
That seems a bit high for that truck. I paid $36k for my '08 back in March '11 and it only had 26k miles on it. And it's a Lariat. Look for something with fewer miles, and be patient.

I came from a gasser as well, and I haven't found the extra maintenance to be that big of a deal. A bit more costly, but the way the new truck tows makes it worth it.

·
780 Posts
My last truck was a 99 f150 v-6 and my 250 is awesome and drain the water from the fuel once a month change the oil every 5000 miles and fuel every 15000 to 20000 miles. Air filter when needed. Bought the truck new in 07 and finished paying it off last April and then deleted the dpf with a h&s tuner. I run the truck in stock tune without dpf and I'm happy with it. Best pulling truck I have ever owned.

·
147 Posts
My last truck was a 99 f150 v-6 and my 250 is awesome and drain the water from the fuel once a month change the oil every 5000 miles and fuel every 15000 to 20000 miles. Air filter when needed. Bought the truck new in 07 and finished paying it off last April and then deleted the dpf with a h&s tuner. I run the truck in stock tune without dpf and I'm happy with it. Best pulling truck I have ever owned.
How is the fuel economy and smoke with the DPF delete compared to stock?

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Gutts and Fordman!

I am being very patient.
The truck was $65,000.00 new

KKB says the truck is worth $32,000.00
So I am going to wait an see how this crap with the goverment is going to pan out before I take the plunge.

·
147 Posts
I am being very patient.
The truck was $65,000.00 new

KKB says the truck is worth $32,000.00
So I am going to wait an see how this crap with the goverment is going to pan out before I take the plunge.
Good luck! I do love the look of the Cabela's edition trucks. I couldn't find one when I was looking, though it was my favorite.

·
780 Posts
I'm city driving towing a trailer all day and the fuel is slightly better but the truck runs a lot better and doesn't feel like it is being choked. As far as smoke it lets off a slight puff out from a dead stop and that's it clears right up. It does a lot better on fuel on the highway with the delete

·
147 Posts
I'm city driving towing a trailer all day and the fuel is slightly better but the truck runs a lot better and doesn't feel like it is being choked. As far as smoke it lets off a slight puff out from a dead stop and that's it clears right up. It does a lot better on fuel on the highway with the delete
Thanks for the info. I tow a fifth wheel, and I don't want to blacken the front of the trailer. I look forward to deleting in a year or so...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts