The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2003 F-250 CC 4x4 short bed 7.3 Stroker. It has 175k for miles.
It runs great. I did have the cam sensor issue taken care of. I get 13.5 mpg around town. I took a trip of about 300 miles climbing most of the way because I live on the coast of North Carolina and went to the Blue Ridge Mountains. I got 16.5 on the way up. On the way back (down hill) I got 17.5 mpg. I was not towing anything.
My basic question is this: Is this mileage normal? Can I do better? I am not positive, but I think the truck is stock.
Any input would be helpful. I was well aware that I wasn't buying an economy vehicle. I also know there are a myriad of chips out there. I don' know what if any I should use. I am not interested in building a race truck. It has power, I am just wondering what you guys know about this.
Thanks,
VB

·
Registered
394 Posts
Welcome to TDG!!! FYI, i am from Western NC. First of all i would change the oil an filter, change fuel filter, change air filter or buy an AFE Stage 2 intake and a programmer of some sort. Oh yea and straight pipe it! Lose the cat an muffler if you want it to be loud. After this you should see a 1.5-5 mpg increase depending on the truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I don't really want it to be louder, if anything I'd like to quiet it down. I assume that eliminating the cat and muffler make the engine breathe better thus improving the fuel mileage. I can live without the extra noise though.

VB-Morehead City

1 - 3 of 3 Posts