The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I have a new to me powerstroke. It's a 1995 ford powerstroke. It is a ext cab 2wd long auto. It has 250k on it. I am a cummins guy and ne to powerstrokes. I have found that the glow plugs don't work. The solenoid on the fender has voltage on the one big set of wires. The small wire dies not when the key is in the on position. What sends power to that post? I have checked the large 22 fuse and it was ok. The truck will start it takes some cranking. When it fires up it idles like it has a miss. When it warms up it smooths out some. The oil level looks good and doesn't look thin. It has a check engine light on. My bro used his friends scanner generic. It came back with a po171 code lean bank. That sounds like a gasser code. There is an obd2 connector under the dash. It looks to have like 7 wires in it. I bought a snapon mt2500 scanner on eBay with the right cartridges. I need the cable and key. When I let it warm up and shut it off it will start but idles real horrible then die. I need help what could cause it to run good cold and not start up well and idle good warm? I appreciate the help. Thanks robert

·
282 Posts
The solinoid was for the glow plugs and not the one for the starter right? At that mileage you might have valve cover wiring harness problems. Check the harness plugs at the top of the valve covers.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might have been the starter one. I checked it on the fender and the one on the engine in the valley. It had no voltage on the big wires on the 2 posts. The small one to activate it did. I have looked at the valve cover plugs and the glow plug pins look horrible. Would it be wise to just buy the 4 plug kit and replace all of them? I appreciate the help.

·
282 Posts
I would just replace the complete gasket, and test the glow plugs while it's apart.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your saying to replace the under valve cover gasket wiring on both heads? And the glow plugs should have less than 2ohms correct? Thanks for your help.

·
282 Posts
Yes.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked and found the icp bad. I started it and shut it off hot. I went to restart it and it ran like it was on a lope tune. I tried 6 times it would just die. I thought pull the icp wiring it fired right up ran good. I also checked the glow plug solinoid and it is fed by the one off the pass fender. It has 12v going in and 7.volts coming out to the glow plug relay on top of the engine. Would the one on the fender be at fault? Thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts