The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is looking at an 07 duramax, He is a total non-car guy so he asked me to help him. The problem is I'm a cummins/powerstroke guy

He is looking at this truck

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-CHEVY-SILVERADO-2500-HD-DIESEL-4X4-ALC-FULLY-LOADED-W0QQAdIdZ202742041

It has a PPE EXCELERATOR PROGRAMMER in it, is this something to be concerned with as far as reliability? he will be using the truck to tow a 10k fifth wheel. he doesn't care about performance stuff.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
that truck has been highly modified.... if you buddy is serious about make sure to tell him to save about $4000 for a transmission build

·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that truck has been highly modified.... if you buddy is serious about make sure to tell him to save about $4000 for a transmission build
Thanks, that is what I suspected! I will tell him to steer clear of that truck, he already has his eye on another 06. Any hints what to look for on a stockish truck?

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
make sure its clean, no leaks, the transmission cooler lines leak on these trucks, its fixable with a set with better fitting crimps

Check for white smoke or excess black smoke(there should be very very little if stock), unusually loud engine noise, drive-line clunking etc...

I would steer clear of any tuned trucks, they usually mean the truck was abused (i know i abuse my truck) and if I could do it all over again i would look for a late 06(built in 06) or 07 classic, early 06's(built in 05) like mine can have issues with headgaskets, and its not a cheap fix at a dealer if out of warranty(mine was 1000km out of warranty when they blew)

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions, dont hesitate to ask

1 - 5 of 5 Posts