The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, we at Spartan are looking for some suggestions from you, the customers and users of the product we provide. Right now, we are in the early process of testing a new tune. It is going to be a higher horsepower tune, but a lot more tame than the 310 and 350. What would you guys like to see? If we have widespread interest in one area, then we will focus our attention there during the early testing phase. Thanks in advance for any input given guys! Your opinion is what matters most to us!

·
190 Posts
Would love to see a tune without the bucking that the 310 has. Would like to see a tune that improves fuel economy but is still a race tune LOL. Enjoy your product and would like to see a tune with a little less throttle response which might reduce the bucking. Would even except less power and torque if better fuel economy.

·
Git' Some
124 Posts
I would also like to see a fuel economy tune as BOAZ said. I know generally speaking you see most fuel economy from the higher hp tunes but with my 275 tune i could care less about it having more power. If you guys can develop a fuel economy tune that can produce consistent 23+mpg tune i would be all over that tune regaurdless of the hp increase.

FUEL ECONOMY TUNE WOULD BE AWESOME!!! :rock

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
So it would be something higher than the 275 but lower than the 310?

I wish that under light throttle it wouldn't bang so hard then under harder acceleration it got tighter? just my 2 cents

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts
Make a tune that makes my suncoast shift fast and smooth and my sensors to accept my egr blocker plate and I don't care what you call it...you can call it "you're a fag If you run this tune" I'd still run it. I'm sick of people saying they're gonna get whiplash and why is my check engine light on.

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make a tune that makes my suncoast shift fast and smooth and my sensors to accept my egr blocker plate and I don't care what you call it...you can call it "you're a fag If you run this tune" I'd still run it. I'm sick of people saying they're gonna get whiplash and why is my check engine light on.
The updated TCM tunes are almost ready, and that will correct the CEL from the EGR blocker plates. To be honest, if you wanna keep your head gaskets alive much longer, take the plates out.

The tranny tunes are still being worked on as well. We aren't going to send you something until we know its worth sending out. We just got our second truck up and running that has a Suncoast/TCM combo. More tunes are being worked on now than before. You will get taken care of, I assure you.

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts
By no means am I trying to be "that guy" and I have sang nothing but your praises...My truck had a huge part in y'all getting a dealer here in Augusta recently. Ive been a spartan fan from the beginning...like when Matt and George C were not on good talking terms haha, i know y'all will get it right

Reactions: 08stroker250

·
606 Posts
OK.........I want to run Baja with my truck and need fuel mileage.

·
24 Posts
I on the other hand like the touchy throttle of the 310. I could see where it would be a problem for the ones who DD it though. But it's a RACE tune. I do vote for the less harsh shifts at light throttle though. I've thought about trying to DD it occasionly but the shifts at light throttle spill my beverage of choice at the time! The touchy throttle IMO is fine though. Again, it's a RACE tune! Glad to see you are looking for opinions though. I just don't know how in the world you will be able to make everyone happy either. By the way, will these "new" tunes be free to the customers that already have tunes up to the 310?

·
29 Posts
By...like when Matt and George C were not on good talking terms haha

that was funny.....:haha

less bucking under light throttle please.

·
1,570 Posts
I don't see why you can't produce a fuel economy specific tune. Wouldn't you just combine the timing of the high power tunes with the fuel quantity of the lower power tunes? That way you get the improved mileage like running a hot tune with light throttle input. I don't see why it can't be done. I think it would be great to have a 100hp tune with timing that gives best efficiency without a lot of fuel causing high combustion pressures and smoke. I think it can be done, it just hasn't.

·
356 Posts
I don't see why you can't produce a fuel economy specific tune. Wouldn't you just combine the timing of the high power tunes with the fuel quantity of the lower power tunes? That way you get the improved mileage like running a hot tune with light throttle input. I don't see why it can't be done. I think it would be great to have a 100hp tune with timing that gives best efficiency without a lot of fuel causing high combustion pressures and smoke. I think it can be done, it just hasn't.
(From what I gather)

They just cant call it an "economy tune" because their tunes are for off road purposes... If they called them high fuel economy tunes, that would imply that you are driving them on the street, which is a no-no...

They could produce a lower power tune that just so happens to get good fuel mileage, but they cant label it as that...

·
1,570 Posts
"High fuel economy 100hp tune for off-road endurance racing"

Problem solved.

·
Super *********
305 Posts
My only request is less smoke at low turbo boost. I can close a intersection and can't lend my truck to ANYONE with it tuned!

·
Green Goose No Juice
160 Posts
Maybe a high horsepower tune such as the 310, smooth and firm shifts, if you want a little more firm you can use the tow/haul, and you can call it a 310 or 3XX what ever Non Race tune.. Since your higher hp tunes get better fuel mileage just call it maybe a 312 tune or 308 non race tune for offroad only :thumbsup

Reactions: 08stroker250

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For those not understanding the deal with fuel economy tunes and why we can't do them, here is a post Matt made on this forum about a year ago....

First of all, I'm going to point out a few things here for you.

DPF deletes are for off-road use- period. There is a disclaimer signed for every single tuner that goes out the door; whether or not users actually read it or just sign and fax is not up to me.

Given that it is illegal not only to use DPF deletes on public highways, but for us to manufacture and sell a device knowingly to be used in an illegal fashion- hence the need for the disclaimer.

We can't control what really happens with them- that is up to the customer. But putting a huge marketing claim, a guarantee of mileage increase, ect is a HUGE liability that my company (and many others) will not take with the EPA or other government entities in order to "humor" users simply seeking extra mileage

Most trucks do see a mileage increase- whether those economy increases are seen on-road or off-road are out of our control. We make that very, very clear with the disclaimer if it is actually ready.

With that said, our priority with ANY AND ALL DPF DELETE TUNING will be for competition use at the race track or sled pulling, period.

Whether some people are "tired" of seeing timeslips or burnouts is irrelevant- the gods honest truth is that more of our business at the moment is coming from performance driven interests than fuel economy and driving Ms. Daisy on sunday. For legal purposes, it will remain that way. All complaints with this policy can be mailed to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC.

I'm sure I could make more money marketing and designing a product strictly for on-road and illegal use- just as I could sell dope or illegal weapons and get rich. But I will not lose my business over it. Track use is legal; road use isn't. 18-20MPG consistently (as in not just one tank of fuel- on average) with a DPF on the truck, just isn't going to happen. Physics kicks in and creates an unreasonable situation you are asking for. Read around at mileage results on "clean" tuners such as the Banks, ect and you'll see just how much good they do.

The matter of fact is that higher HP tunes will get better fuel mileage, period. However right now our market is driven by performance- there are only so many people on our staff and only so many hours in a day. Until the performance market changes, our priority with DPF delete tuning will be in running what some people obviously consider "silly" competition use.

There is a reason that no one is listening to what you are complaining of. Legally, we cant. Regardless of what goes on behind the computer screen.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts