The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to the diesel world and don't know much about them at all, but I am ready to learn and own my first diesel. In reading through the forum I have already learned a lot. I have a couple of probably simple questions that I need some help on though...

I am looking at getting a 2001 Excursion 7.3 with 165,000 miles. I do not think that it has been chipped or had any modifications other than a lift and 35" tires (I will try and confirm this before purchase). Here are my questions:

1. What should I check for before buying this or any other diesel?
2. When talking with people it seems that everyone's diesel is getting 19-24 mpg. I know that this is probably alot of BS. What would be a good guess for MPG with a stock 7.3 and 35" tires? I found in a review of the 01 Excursion that it was estimated at 16-19 mpg. That is a pretty big range.
3. What are the major differences between the 7.3 and the 6.0? Pros and Cons, etc.
4. Is 165,000 miles to many? I have heard that diesel will go forever, but what about the rest of the truck?

Sorry for so many simple questions, but like I said, I am new to all this and trying to learn as much as I can before I take the jump. Thanks in advance.

·
Resident GINGER
775 Posts
Um, one thing about the excursions is that they are fairly heavy, and the brakes arn't the best. My parents warped the rotters on theirs when it had like 25k on it. Some mec at ford said "you can warp the brakes on one of these when getting off the freeway". Other than that and a few things here and there (some electrical problems) the thing is nice. The 7.3l is a good motor, just not as high performance as the 6.0l, and stock hight, my parrents get between 18 to 19, and around 21 if crusing at a reasonable speed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
with my 7.3 im getting around between16-18 with 33"s but i dont know how much heavier an excursion is to an f350

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ex and a Crewcab longbed a about the same at the scale. My CC gets 15-16. Some guys get much better.

Warped rotors are a problem on all the SD's. If they warp just buy good rotors and you won't have much of an issue. The Ex's have the same brakes as the SD truck.

·
90 Posts
How much does the X weigh?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys... Anybody have any thoughts on the other questions. WreckerMan, are you getting 15-16 on the stock suspension and tires? You say some guys get much better, do the trucks very from the factory with fuel mileage, or is it mainly due to mods? Thanks again.

·
6,337 Posts
My wife's gets 14-17 with 37's...

If you can afford one get a 6.0, easy power and a bit quieter in the cab... I love our 7.3's but if we had found a 6.0 we would have snached it up...

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the 6.0 is a "better" engine? I have heard that the 6.0's don't get as good as fuel milage as the 7.3's is this true? CSIPSD what type of mods does your Excursion have? It is one sweet lookin' ride.

·
6,337 Posts
She has a 6" revtek lift, 37" Toyo MT's, 4" exhaust, AFE stage 2, Autometer CObalts on the overhead pod and prototype Isspros in a under dash pod, Chip from Elite Diesel, Turbonetics turbo, CCV mods, AIH delete, dvd... and on and on...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts