The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am new to the garage. I am over at the dieselplace everyday but I have changed breeds hence the name here. I am not new to diesels just the cummins. I had a 99 7.3pos I mean psd. I also had a 01 dmax which I loved except for the bad injectors and head gaskets and numerous little things. But now I have a 97 12v that I pickup next thursday. I need help getting the pics to post. Now that you know a little bit about me I would like some advice. I am a hp junkie like most of you and need to know how to suck more power out of this thing and how much its going to cost. Don't hold back any suggestions because of price, but please don't abbreviate and give an explanation of what you are suggesting. Thanks guys. Glad to be here

·
Super Moderator
3,190 Posts
You've had diesels already, so the gauges are to be expected. After that, you can grind your fuel plate flat, then install it in the forward-most position(forward gives the most fuel), and here's the article for it. http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6815
Then, a governer spring kit(GSK) to let it rev up, there's a 3k, 4k, and 5k spring kit($120-299). You need heavier valve springs if you spin past 3400.
Injectors...370's are good(especially for $3-400 a set), but if you want big hp, you can get EDM's from several sources(about $1200). EDM's are like Extrude honing, but make big power with less smoke & less EGT.
You'll have to O-ring the head gasket & install head studs($450-500) for that kind of power, so to feed all that fuel you'll be looking at either twin turbos($1000-6000) or a big single($800-2500). A good auto tranny, or clutch will be mandatory. I hope this gives you a good start, you get your hands dirty with a 12 valve, not like plugging in a D'max module & programming it.

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That helps alot, I am going to school to be a diesel mechanic thats why I decided to get the 12v. I love wrenching on my trucks thats also why I decided to go back to school to get paid to do what I love. I am just unfamiliar with the good ol cummins. The fuel plate link was very good. I already contacted Dave Goerend for a trans. I also picked out my guages and exhaust to but cant do anything till thursday. nevrenufhp that was exactly what kind of help I was looking for. Could you explain the kinds of smaller single turbos to me, I dont need anything like a sled puller. I looked at the bds and auroras'. I am assuming the truck has a hx35, but would a hx40 be close to sufficiant for much. Thanks again

·
3,514 Posts
Hx40 will work ok, to a point. It really depends on what power range you are shoting for and how much fuel. There are better turbos out there for not that much more money. If the truck is going to be a street truck I would Highly recommend running something like a The htb2 with a 62mm comp wheel. That turbo has several exhaust housing and turbine options that change the price a little too. I think the 13cm exhaust housing with the 71mm extended tip turbine is the Sh*T for a decent HP single turbo street truck. Talk To bouncer on here, thats what he's running on his truck I believe.

Heres a link to some good turbos.
http://www.htturbo.com/ht71.htm

Sean

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I havent decided yet how much I am going to try and achieve with this truck. It does still need to be able to tow the trailer everyday without blacking out the highway and keeping the egts in check. I always thought 500rwhp was a nice round #, more than most but not the biggest. I could have done that with my dmax and still towed the trailer. I am not comparing the two, I am wondering if the same is possible with the 12v. I know its more than capable for the power but towing the trailer with the egts in check is my main concern hence the turbo ?'s. This truck will probably never see the track so it will be a street/work truck. Thanks guys.

·
3,514 Posts
Ah, you're in my boat. I'm building my truck to be a nice decent power truck, but I tow 7-12K frequently and a couple times a year up 18.5K in hot mountainous terrain. I have a 24v which means I can detune a little electronically, but with the injectors i'll be running, twins are the route I'm going.

How are your fabrication skills? You can buy a complete twins set up, but it will run you a bit more. I should have mine built for around or under $1000, for a mild set, shoting for 450-500rwhp. Keep in mind you'll always have smoke before your turbo(s) get lit.
Sean

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
sstockton said:
.... I should have mine built for around or under $1000, for a mild set, shoting for 450-500rwhp....
i've been keeping on eye on your posts.:popcorn: my '96 will be my project truck, and i'll eventually be wanting twins. so when you get done, you gonna do a write up on the how-to's and why's of your setup ?????

inquiring minds (me) want to know.... :Thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts