The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am new to the fourm and want to know if a 2004 excursion 6.0 psd is a good reliable motor. I am in the midst of trading my 03 expedition 5.4 for a better fuel economy and more towing power. I haul a 6000lb rv. I am getting 7.0 mpg in the expedition. Will I be fixing the diesel often? Will I get better mpg?
Help
Thanks Jamie

·
14 Posts
hey Jamie,

I am by no means an expert on ANYTHING, but I would like to chime in on how much I like my F250 PSD.

I have heard alot of negativity about the 6oh,... but, My '04 F250 Crew lariat long box has 110k miles, and is a great machine, I haul lots of stuff... hay, wood, regularly use it for 2k-2500 lb loads..(in the box). at the moment, I think I may need to clean out the Turbo, but, after lurking in the forum, hearing that I needed to 'drive it like I stole it'... 2 Days of 'Driving with authority' have really made a difference.

I was taking it real easy on her, in order to get the best milage over the last year....My bad.....

Overall, Fine machine... no Performance addon's.

Better milage than my F150 SCREW I had before....

Pulls 9k lbs with no problem... Case 40 horse tractor and 20ft trailer. It will even turn/burn the tires while doing it:woot:

Hope this helps.....
Ken

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Thanks Ken. It looks to me there are issues if you baby this motor so I won't. It seems that people buy a diesel and don't maintain it quite right. That being said I am not sure what quite right is. This will be my first diesel. I am really looking forward to more power towing an better mpg. I am bit nervous as the beast I am looking at has 74K on the clock but a clean carfacts. Any advice would be great. Oh yeah I am leaving for a 2400 mile round trip on friday pulling mine travel trailer. I think that will be a good test of the new rig.
J

·
Registered
151 Posts
Get an oasis report before you buy. I also have an 04 I have some mods on mine but still no problems for me I love this truck and it kicks a-- in towing and mileage over any gasser.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you had any real issues with the 6.0? The one I am looking at has 73K you think the bugs have been worked out?
J

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am looking forward to the post you're going to put up after your trip! I'm guessing you will be more than satisfied with the diesel- Even at $4/gallon for fuel, I won't be going back to a gas truck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts