The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm a newbie when it comes to tuners. Where can a go to learn how they work and what can be done with them? My truck is factory stock and I want to keep track of system performance to help diagnose problems early.

I am a control system technician by trade and I use computers to program all types of process control systems. The way I see it, a vehicle computer is nothing more than a special computer that monitors various sensors and adjust various outputs to achieve the desired outcome. If my PCM ever goes belly up, I may just have to build my own.

For now I just want to learn what I can. One thing I would like to do is a cylinder power balance test. I saw one done at the dealer a long time ago and I liked the technology that I saw. For reasons I wont go into here I absolutly refuse to let a dealer work on or even touch my truck ever again. So thats why I want to learn how to do it myself.

What hardware and software will I need? I think I would prefer an all PC based system rather than one with its own display. I'm thinking there must be some sort of USB interface to the OBDii connector.

Any thoughts, suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Cloud Booster 500HP
268 Posts
INNOVATIVEDIESEL.COM WOWA HOLD ON

·
721 Posts
Two different things. A scanner or A/E software is needed to "look" into the computer and to do Injector/power balance test. A tuner such as SCT reprograms (tweeks) your computer to do what you want it to do (with the help of a "tune master" such as Innovative). You can also buy a setup to do your own tuning, probably expensive, and you better understand the complete system far better than 99.9% of the people on this site. SCT's also have a very limited ability to see into the computer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts