The Diesel Garage banner

Newbie with Cranking Problem

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  stroke250 
#1 ·
Hello All,
I recently purchased my first diesel pickup and I love it. It’s a 2003 HD2500GMC and I’m having some cranking problems. The truck cranks fine when it’s cold but after driving it 30 miles or so and stopping for 30 minutes it doesn’t want to crank. This has happened twice in the past week. It will eventually crank after several attempts but you really have to grind on the starter. It may do this once in a day and not do it again for a day or two. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 ·
If the starter is grinding then you have a bad spot on either the flywheel or flexplate. Or the starter is being affected by the heat and not kicking out totally, that would indicate a bad starter and it is time for replacement before for you create a bad spot on the before mentioned parts. If you can take it out on your own, remove it, take it to a starter/alternator rebuild shop and have them rebuild it for you, that will save you some money. We do it on all the trucks in my dads fleet.

Tony

#3 ·
I’m sorry I probably didn’t make myself very clear. The starter is engaging fine and the engine is turning over good but it just won’t start if it’s warm. It will start fine if it’s cold but after it warms up it just will not start at all. You can let it sit for several hours and it will start fine. I’ve checked all the temp gauges and it’s not getting hot or anything like that. It acts like it’s not getting fuel for some reason.

#4 ·
I am going to bow out of this one and let one of the other more experienced guys help you out, this one is above me at this time, not enough time owning a Dmax myself.

Tony

#5 ·
There are a couple of things that could cause this. The most common one is low fuel pressure due to high fuel return from the injectors. When the engine is hot the fuel is also hot and will be a little thinner causing lower fuel pressure and a no start condition. You need to find a good gm diesel mechanic and have them check the fuel pressure hot and cold. It might be time for a set of injectors under the special policy. Don't wait too long or it will not start at all.

#6 ·
x2, injectors need replaced due to high return rates

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.