The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someone who have ran both brands and wanting to get their opinion of which brand they perfer, I have a 06' F-350 Lariet FX 4x4, my truck is a daily driver and I do pull a travel trailer once in a while, I'm getting ready to put new tires (LT 285/75R18 or LT275/70R18) on it within a week, Nitto Terra Grappler or Toyo Open Country A/T, need some advice, Thank you.

·
90 Posts
I've only ran the Toyo's. I'm only going to get about 33K out of mine. I keep them aired up correctly. Probably not been rotated like they should have been, but I haven't noticed any irregular wear on the fronts to require frequent rotations. The rears have worn horribly. I don't do burnouts either.

Reactions: Ohio Eddie

·
TDG MAFIA
1,270 Posts
I have ran both. I like the nitto's better for the highway. Way less road whine from them. The Toyo's are a little better in the mud but suck in rocky conditions like the Texas hill country. The nitto's preform great in rocky conditions. Last go around w/ toyo's I had to use 4wd pretty much the whole trip up the mountain, but with the Nitto's I used 4wd once.

My vote is the Nitto's

·
TDG MAFIA
1,270 Posts
:thumbsup

·
1,570 Posts
I have ran both. I like the nitto's better for the highway. Way less road whine from them. The Toyo's are a little better in the mud but suck in rocky conditions like the Texas hill country. The nitto's preform great in rocky conditions. Last go around w/ toyo's I had to use 4wd pretty much the whole trip up the mountain, but with the Nitto's I used 4wd once.

My vote is the Nitto's
Which Toyo did you have? I had 315/75r16 Toyo ATs and they were pretty much silent. Great tire, I'll be getting it again.

·
Swamp Land Member
164 Posts
I have run the Toyo Open Country M/T's and the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's. 35x12.50R/18's for both. The Nitto's are on my truck now and are wearing really nice. No abnormal wear patterns. The Toyo' seemed to develop some really nasty wear patterns early on with the same style of driving. I have always rotated faithfully every 5000 miles. This is what I have experienced, and I will definitely go with the Nitto's again next time. I think the Nitto's look quite a better too, but that is just my opinion.

·
1,570 Posts
How does the Nitto Trail Grappler compare with the Toyo MT for highway road noise?

·
83 Posts
On my fourth set of tires on the F250, this time Nitto Terra Grapplers. They have about 50K miles on them with some thread left. Previously got 70K and 80K miles out of BFG all terrains, all in 295's.

A good friend of mine has 355 Toyos on his Super Duty with 6in lift. His tires have low miles but are cracked all over the place. He did research and found a recall for cracked tires in his same style but not for his size.

Just put Michelin MS2's on the dually all the way around. Those are the best tires money can buy. Got on the friends and family plan at Ford and got them out the door for $860 it was $450 less than the other two "discount" tire outfits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts