The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bolt
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 6.0 F350 46,000 miles. I recently replaced the egr cooler and egr as the cooler was leaking. I cleaned the exhaust side of the turbo, replaced the EPS,MAP, Checked for exhaust leaks,checked the charge air boots, ficm is at 47.6 volt, ICP is at 715psi, duty cycle on the turbo at idle is 85% does go to 15% when it is under load. Still smokes black and lacks power at idle but when you get the rpms up it runs sweet! I also had to clean the intake out it had alot of coking from the coolant leak. Also when it does get boost pressure it is 20-25 psi. Im lost now....

·
Bolt
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Bolt
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
3,051 Posts
If it's smoking black at idle, then most likely one of the fuel injectors is faulty, this can cause the low power symptoms your describing also. If you have access to a good scan tool you can run a cylinder contribution test, this will usually show a dramatically lower negative spec number for the faulty cylinder-injector when malfunctioning in comparison to the other cylinders, sometimes the faulty injector can read fine at times for that cylinder and act up intermittently, you may need to drive around a bit with the scan tool hooked up if the faulty cylinder isn't showing right away.

Harry

·
Bolt
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Harry for the reply. It does not smoke black at idle. It smokes black at acceleration, I replaced the turbo because it had rust pits under the vanes and it seems to have decent power but the P0299 keeps coming back. I guess my next step is to check the charge air cooler for leaks because the boots and piping appears to be okay. I did the smoke test on the intake system but didn't see any smoke exiting. This is driving me nuts!

·
Bolt
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
The unison ring is installed wrong in the turbine housing. You can (I have) install it with the vanes wide open and get it all together only to find out the pin is in the wrong place. Truck will feel like a dog, smoke, and have no power until about 2200-2400rpm, when all of a sudden it cleans up and runs like a scalded dog.

Pull the turbo, watch a YouTube video on how to align the vanes and unison ring, and give it another try.

Reactions: Smoker

·
Bolt
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem is I just put a new turbo on it. Thanks lol

·
3,051 Posts
Is it a stock Garret replacement turbo or a Garret PowerMax turbo ?

If it's a PowerMax, then custom tuning is needed to get it to perform correctly.

Harry

·
Bolt
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stock, I got in it today and the P0299 is up AGAIN!

·
3,051 Posts
Here's a great explanation from the late dieseltechron on PO299, be sure to watch entire video as he goes into the intercooler and hoses issues that can also cause this code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Py62-cWSQ

Harry

·
Bolt
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes sir I watched that already, Ive looked at a lot of them. Im at wits end almost.

·
Bolt
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also might add that it has its power back, but it smokes some at take off and it still throws the P0299 code. Now it also has come up with P0671. This truck is something!

·
3,051 Posts
I believe PO671 is a cyl#1 glow plug fault.

Faulty injector can contribute to failed glow plug. Still may be possible injector leakage, maybe cyl#1.

Passenger side front to rear is all odd cyl's 1-3-5-7...drivers side is all even cyl's 2-4-6-8

If no intercooler boost system or exhaust y-pipe turbo supply leaks, also make sure egr valve is ok, and it does not have a weak return closed spring.

Remember, a weak injector produces weak turbo performance.

Good luck on this, hope you nail down this issue soon, I also hate it when something is not right.

Harry

·
3,051 Posts
I also forgot to mention, make sure the turbo is learned by clearing all fault codes first, warm up engine from a cold start to operating temp (driving it to warm it up is ok), then let it sit and idle for about 20 minutes in park. This lets the vanes cycle back and forth and the computer learn the vane positions.

Harry

Reactions: Smoker

·
Bolt
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did not do that. I thought you only had to relearn the 03 models? Ill try that. I did the injector test with the scan tool and it did not make any noticeable difference when I shut each injector off. Im going to check the dang EP tube again just to be sure. All I did to it was blow back through it with air. It has a new sensor but maybe, just maybe it isn't cleared enough for the sensor to work right. I have the Mentor Touch by MAC tools, so I can't perform every test.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts