The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got cold here last night, first time all year. The inline fuel filter we put on for temporrary at BTS was frozen with water, so I bypassed it with a piece of fuel line.

Truck cranks and I get alot of white smoke out the pipes, but it will not start. I have jumper cables on it to keep from running down the batteries.

Should I look at something else? I'm thinking I may have some water in the fuel pumps that has froze too. I have only a small electric heater set up under the truck to try and defrost.

With the key on, the fuel preasure on my gauge starts out at 70 psi and slowly drops to 0. Fuel filter is full of fuel

Thanks!!

·
622 Posts
it sounds like you have a glow plug problem, could be the plugs or the relay, if you have a test light or a meter you can check to see if the relay is tranfering power, i just had the same problem and it was the relay, also keep it pluged in if cold weather is expected it will help alot, if you need a relay i got mine from napa for $65 they normally go for 102 but i told them it was only 65 online and they matched it, i paid $9 per plug form napa also. Happy Wrenching:Thumbup:

·
6,337 Posts
GPR109 is the part number from NAPA. Same thing just turned about 180 degrees. When you crank it does the Fuel pressure drop or just after sitting? IE are the fuel pumps turning off or is the FP dropping? I froze mine a few weeks ago... Had to put a heater under the fuel tanks for about an hour and then change the fuel filter... Stipid Bio diesel....

·
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I narrowed it to the GPR. Was gonna pull one off the other '00 we just got but it's bad too.:damnit

Now it's off to NAPA for 2.

Thanks guys!!

By the way it wasn't water that froze, it was wax.

·
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just so ya'll know:

NAPA GPR109 25 bucks, Rated for 600 amps the posts are turned 90 degrees from the GPR110 that is called for for the SD relay.

The GPR110 is 100 bucks and only rated at 100 amps. Guess wich one I got.

·
Registered
80 Posts
dzljon said:
it sounds like you have a glow plug problem, could be the plugs or the relay, if you have a test light or a meter you can check to see if the relay is tranfering power, i just had the same problem and it was the relay, also keep it pluged in if cold weather is expected it will help alot, if you need a relay i got mine from napa for $65 they normally go for 102 but i told them it was only 65 online and they matched it, i paid $9 per plug form napa also. Happy Wrenching:Thumbup:
Go on ebay and put in powerstroke you can get the same relay Ford sells for 25.00 to about 30.00. I've got 4 of them off there and put one on my 95 and give one to a friend and put the others up my 00 has the same relay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts