The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 PSD with an auto. When I am under the truck, their is very loud noise coming from transmission. Sounds like it is grinding or some thing loose. The trans shift fine, but this thing sounds way to loud.

·
1,726 Posts
:welcome2: to TDG

Could be the torque converter making the noise. A lot of times they sound like there is pieces rattleing around inside when they go out.

RacerX would probably have some more insight on this problem. He is on vacation right now and will only be reading on here now and then. You might want to send him a pm to let him know about your thread.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Yeah, that is what it sounds like, it is my Dad's truck and I posted that for him and gave him his own user name.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
I just spoke with my dad and he said that the noise does go away when he is above 1250 RPM, if it make a difference.

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
the 99+ trucks have a problem with the stator jingling around in the TC that makes that can of marbles noise. ive never heard of a 97 with that problem, can u hear the noise inside the vehicle while ur driving? if its a loose stator the noise will stop when the TC is lockd up, ull hear the difference.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
It is very loud sound until it up to 1250 maybe 1500 then it kind of goes away. We changed the fluid in the trans but not all of it, we did not flush the lines or torque. He also said it seems to be shifting different. When we dropped the pan the magnet had a bunch of fine stuff all over it.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Since it prolly is the TC do you think the trans will be okay, it seemed to shift fine before this, what should we look for when buying a new TC?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
racehauler said:
:welcome2: to TDG

Could be the torque converter making the noise. A lot of times they sound like there is pieces rattleing around inside when they go out.

RacerX would probably have some more insight on this problem. He is on vacation right now and will only be reading on here now and then. You might want to send him a pm to let him know about your thread.
Excellant description, that is most likely the trouble if it comes from the bell housing area. Marbles in a coffee can slightly muffled by liquid. LOL LOL LOL :Thumbup: 1250 is right on, begins to quiet when stator free wheels. Torque converter only will fix it if the tranny is otherwise good.
-
-
-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts