The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 '97 F350 DRW 2 wheel drive, crew cab pickups, i want to make 1 a 4x4

I have a few options I have a Dana 60 under a barn yard plow truck ('87 F350 6.9) that will never see the road again. I would like to keep the old plow truck together.

I had an F250 IFS (Dana 50) a while back and I liked how it rode and how it sat low to the ground.

Question is the Dana 50 (IFS) in the F250 basically the same unit in the F150 (Dana 44 I think), except for coil springs and half ton spindles? If so would this mean a Dana 50 is a Dana 44 with Dana 60 spindles? All 3 axles use the same ball joint part #

I have parts trucks with Dan 44 and with Dana 50 IFS front axles.

Here is what I am thinking about doing:

taking the F150 Dana 44 axle putting it under the F350, with the Dana 50 spindles, getting DRW adapters, using the stock F350 coils and radial arms, putting air bags in the coil springs, using an air suspension equalizer, to control ride height (really to control wheel camber).

dose this sound realistic?

I figure if I did it this way I could use the coil springs, keep the lower ride height, and not have to mess around with boxing in the frame and mounting leaf spring mounts.

I really hate how Ford (and Dodge) 4x4 sit up so high, IMHO it really makes them Gooseneck trailer unfriendly.

let me know what you think

·
326 Posts
I don't think that the dana 44 will hold up under a diesel pickup. I would try to find a dana 60. The 50 IFS is a real pain in the butt. If you are going to be towing I would go for the dana 60.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
I wouldn't want to put the IFS under the front end of a dually that will be probably be doing lots of hauling...

·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Dana 60, but I wanted to use coil springs, i hate the ride of the 4x4 trucks, exept chevy/gmc

Dose anyone know of a dana 60 setup to utiliz coil springs and radial control arms with out buying a 2005 axel?

possible a weld on kit for and OBS dana 60?

·
326 Posts
What about a Dana 60 from a 1994-2002 Dodge 2500? If you wanted coil springs I would find a wrecks dodge and yank its front axle.

·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about a Dana 60 from a 1994-2002 Dodge 2500? If you wanted coil springs I would find a wrecks dodge and yank its front axle.
I like that idear, I had an '05 Ram 3500 4x4 and that rode pretty good.

·
9 Posts
dana 60

I have a Dana 60, but I wanted to use coil springs, i hate the ride of the 4x4 trucks, exept chevy/gmc

Dose anyone know of a dana 60 setup to utiliz coil springs and radial control arm with out buying a 2005 axel?

possible a weld on kit for and OBS dana 60?

I'm kinda confused of what you said but I'm curious to know what you mean by this. Did you already have these parts and can you kindly show pictures of it.

·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm kinda confused of what you said but I'm curious to know what you mean by this. Did you already have these parts and can you kindly show pictures of it.
I have a Dana 60 (staight axle leaf springs) front Axle in a 1987 F350, I also have a Dana 44 (IFS leaf springs) in a 1989 F250, and a Dana 40 (IFS coil springs) in a 1987 F150. I don't have pics but most any ford guy should know what they are.

What I would like to do Is make my 2 wheel drive F350 dually 4 wheel drive, utilizing stock radial arms and coil springs.

I don't want to weld in a 4 link or box the front of the frame in for leaf springs, but I want to be able to put it in 4 wheel drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts