The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have avery loud popping noise comming out my exhaulst when at idel in gear but when its in nuteral it doesnt do it and when im driving down the road it wont do it till i slow down then you hear it again. need help fast, please help

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
I would check the easy stuff first... Like valve lash and valve trian components for damage...

·
113 Posts
check to see how much play u have in the turbo. make sure that it is not touching the sides. my stocker would do it when i would shut my truck off. it sound like ting ting ting.... good luck

·
3,514 Posts
What year is the truck? Check it for codes too. If you were having turbo or valve train problems, I would suspect it would increase with load and RPM. I'm not saying that those definitely aren't your problem, but I would also look at the fuel system. My guess is you're having some kind of timing issue at lower RPM. These injection pumps often can't reach full advance on timing because the fuel solenoid gets worn out from being subjected to low fuel pressure. Since the VP44 has dynamic timing and changes based on load and RPM I could see this being the problem. At idle with the load of being in gear on it (assuming its an auto), if it isn't reaching full advance it will inject too early and run rough for funny. Then once RPM is increased or load is removed, the timing advances further, and you are now back up to a tolerable range of timing. It probably isn't exactly where it should be but its enough to run alright without the weird noises. That is just a guess though.

If you could fill in your sig with some info about your truck that would really help us help you. Drive train and modification information is really helpful.
Sean

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well its a 2001 cummins with a suncoast tranny 90 hp bd nozzles, vp 44 hot rod pump, edge comp drag box, 5" stack, fuel pump its a big one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts