The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so a guy i know has an 01 3500 4x4 dually. the problem is occasionally when you try to get on the speed you press the gas pedal and nothing happens, like if im pulling a horse trailor and im goin 25 and need to get to 35 i floor it and nothing happens, it also happened once going real slow like 5mph and i was pulling a trailor and i needed to go over a small hill to get to the road, it was prolly 4 feeet long total and went up 2 fet and i was flooring it and it wouldnt climb rpms or speed. what could this be? he says the fuel filter has never been replaced. and its an automatic btw. all help is greatly appreciated:thumbsup

·
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also on the 25 to 35 mph example i gave it kicked into overdrive when i floored it, but didnt get any speeb, but eventually something clicked and it caught speed and everything was ok. honestly im stumped haha

·
237 Posts
First -change the fuel filter

Is there a tranny temp gauge? - I'm guessing that the torque converter is slipping possibly?

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Change the fuel filter for sure...

Next check for error codes... I got a feeling you going to find a P0121 or P0122 error code...

If these are present then you APPS sensor is fried...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/tips/cummins/2ndgen24v/apps/apps.htm

Here is a cheaper APPS sensor compared to dealer...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/tips/cummins/2ndgen24v/apps/apps-replacement.htm

There is only 2 devices that can cause dead pedal...

1. APPS Sensor (accelerator pedal position sensor)
2. VP44 (Injection pump)

·
3,514 Posts
Dead peddle is generally a symptom of a bad APPS or dying VP44 like stated above. something to keep in mind, is that if no codes appear, it is the VP44 a bad APPS will always throw a code.

As far as it being a slipping torque converter, or transmission. I'd rule that out, unless the engine builds RPM and you don't accelerate. However, that wouldn't just fix itself. Whereas APPS and VP are both often time intermittent.
Sean

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Valid point... :thumbsup

·
90 Posts
There is only 2 devices that can cause dead pedal...

1. APPS Sensor (accelerator pedal position sensor)
2. VP44 (Injection pump)
Hmm, is your CEL on?

A faulty MAP Sensor will also cause dead pedal. In neutral/park it'll rev up almost normally. Once out on the highway your acceleration will be slow, and don't even try to pass anyone.

But generally, if you have no CEL present (MAP should trigger CEL) then it is usually APPS or VP related.

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
Hmm, is your CEL on?

A faulty MAP Sensor will also cause dead pedal. In neutral/park it'll rev up almost normally. Once out on the highway your acceleration will be slow, and don't even try to pass anyone.

But generally, if you have no CEL present (MAP should trigger CEL) then it is usually APPS or VP related.
Good Point...A lot of VPs die w/o any warning, codes, or lights....I re tuned my Smarty and checked codes for shats and giggles and had an APPS Code w/ no check engine light...I cleared it and it hasnt come back, but you can't always count on that light to come on...

Nate

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
I lost both my VP44 and APPS sensor without a CEL light...

·
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
can anybody give me some details on replacing the APPS sensor?? it would help us out greatly if it isnt the pump

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts