The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My most recent oil analysis showed the copper level went from the usual 1 or 2, to 88. Every other wear metal is normal. I am using the new Delo 4-CK/SN. Could this oil have higher copper level?

Also, replaced gaskets & O-rings on oil return pipes from oil cooler just before that oil was put in. It has the oversize oil cooler due to having a brakesaver. Possibly disturbed some copper that had leached from oil cooler tubes?

I am not too concerned with this right now. Mainly just wondering about the new oil formulation.

What are you guys seeing for copper level in older Cat's?

·
3,051 Posts
The new CK-4/SN rated oils are of concern for me too, some only have 800ppm of zddp anti wear now compared to 1200ppm averages on the previous CJ-4 rated formulations. Ford had originally recommended no one use the new CK formulations in any of the powerstroke engines. But now has a list of approved oils that pass the stringent Ford spec, this is of concern for all makes of engines. Here's a link to the list of approved oils....
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/additionalinfo/dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf

Harry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts