The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard people sayin that they pour a quart of 30w oil in their tanks to aid in lubrication. should i do this in my '96 psd? or just keep buying the additive, if so which ones the best? im currently runnin ps(power services) in it.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
i personaly dont like the pow services i ran the diesel kleen for a while and saw a loss in mpg. put 1 oz 2cycle oil in your fuel per gal of diesel this will lube and clean most everything in yr motor i would not run 30wt as its not desined to be burned 2 cycle is and it wont gum up every thing just my 2 cents

steve

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
and if you do run the 2 cycle be sure it is ashless.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
thanks to mattymx didnt have that link

·
928 Posts
camojeeper said:
i personaly dont like the pow services i ran the diesel kleen for a while and saw a loss in mpg. put 1 oz 2cycle oil in your fuel per gal of diesel this will lube and clean most everything in yr motor i would not run 30wt as its not desined to be burned 2 cycle is and it wont gum up every thing just my 2 cents

steve

:agreed:

2 cycle ashless = better fuel mileage & quieter engine! I'm sold!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ive been running 2-cycle oil for the past few tanks, no problems whatsoever. Works great! I wouldnt put reg. motor oil in it though, could cause problems down the road.

·
442 Posts
Once my bottle of power services is gone, im getting the Opti-Lube. Nothing wrong with 2nd best is there?

·
1,726 Posts
The place I fill up at only has B2 (2% bio diesel) and according to the chart that provides the best HFRR score.

No wonder I can't ever tell a difference when I use the 2 cycle oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brendon, why not buy few 5 gal. jugs and fill them with Biodiesel?
1st best (per your chart) and cheaper.

·
442 Posts
Wouldn't even know where to look to get it. PITA to store, and not worth the effort at that point. Easier to carry around a gallon of the additive than play around with anything else. My truck and equipment all run diesel, so it's not a realistic approach. Price doesn't matter to some extent if my truck and machines are going to be around longer, and it's a tax write off for the business anyways.

That chart is from Moparman too I think, I just saved it in my archives.

·
Registered
30 Posts
opti-lube

BrendonV said:
Once my bottle of power services is gone, im getting the Opti-Lube. Nothing wrong with 2nd best is there?

Wheres the best place to find it and has anybody you know used it with good results? Also i see the charts but what is it, 1 oz per gallon?

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is were I get my SoyPower.
http://www.soyclean.biz/shopping/productsdetail.asp?cat=DFA

Mix rate:
32oz. per 100gals of Diesel
16oz. per 50gals of Diesel
8oz. per 25gals of Diesel

As of this time, there are not any biodiesel stations within 200 miles. So I order this product for now. Really Quieted down the Injectors and smoothed out the idle, as well as throttle response seemed to improve greatly. Cleaned the fuel filter after 1k miles... Very dirty. The soy is cleaning my fuel system like crazy. Im very impressed with this product.

·
Riding solow on the Hog
286 Posts
I process my own bd, and its friggen awesome fuel to run whole or in percentages. If you dont feel that building a processor (I use a modified Appleseed design. Google 'Appleseed processor') and operating it is your cup of java, then Id say your second most convenient choice is the 2cycle, which Ive also run with excellent results when I was running straight ULSD.

·
git-r-done
457 Posts
I have heard thet running highter %'s of the BD can soften old fuel hoses and that they should be replaced befor a vast amount is used.
How about the lucas fuel additive?
As far as the power service, when using that it is very similar to running the winterblend diesel in the northern stases as far as mileage in conserned. My buddie used to put a whole bottle of the stuff in each tank when he first got his truck and now dosent use much. It cleaned it out real good. LOL

·
Member in Learning!
105 Posts
As a newbie in the diesel world, let me get this straight....

According to the chart, the best additive would be the soypower. So If I run SoyClean in my truck with the ratio from the chart, I can expect a cleaner system(in time) and improved gas mileage?

Or for that matter running 2cyc ashless oil would be a good start.

I am all for prolonging the life of my engine anyway possible, and this seems like a good place to start.

How much has your gas mileage improved by using 2cyc oil, or the soyclean, or even opti-lube??

By the way, when I fill up, I use the regular diesel that the gas station has with the cheapest price.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
jmbstudios said:
As a newbie in the diesel world, let me get this straight....

According to the chart, the best additive would be the soypower. So If I run SoyClean in my truck with the ratio from the chart, I can expect a cleaner system(in time) and improved gas mileage?

Or for that matter running 2cyc ashless oil would be a good start.

I am all for prolonging the life of my engine anyway possible, and this seems like a good place to start.

How much has your gas mileage improved by using 2cyc oil, or the soyclean, or even opti-lube??

By the way, when I fill up, I use the regular diesel that the gas station has with the cheapest price.
Todays fuel is already got highier cetane than any manufacture requires so cetane booster are no longer required. (Unless your having cold starting problems in the frozen northern states). Also remember every winter we all scream about reduced MPG's well high cetane fuels reduce BTU's of the fuel and HP/TQ. But every summer when fuels return to low cetane fuel the MPG's go back up...

If your worried about keeping your injectors clean I would say head for a good fuel filter system and skip the injector cleaners. Injector cleaners are of a solvent base and tend to reduce the lubricity even more to do it job of cleaning. Like the Cummins engine has a fall back filter system... Called a edge filter...

Quoted From Dodge's Factory Service Manual (2nd Gen VP44 and 3rd Gen CR)
Each fuel injector connector tube contains an edge filter (Fig. 13) that breaks up small contaminants that enter the injector. The edge filter uses the injectors pulsating high-pressure to break up most particles so they are small enough to pass through the injector

So what is lacking in today's fuel??? Lubricity!!! So looking at the chart you want the lowest HFRR number you can afford or locally obtain. Like me the best locally here is 2 cycle oil since none of the other products are sold here in this small town of 300 people.

There is even a long story about how the lubricant package is loaded to the truck and the possiblity of it being missed. But basically once the fuel is loaded on the truck it NOT check every load to be sure it meets the minimum 520 HFRR standard. So if your wanting to protect your fuel system from wear I would look for a good fuel lubricant more so than cetane boosters or injector cleaners.

·
Member in Learning!
105 Posts
I think I read all that on your other site, thanks!
Living in Southern Arizona I am not worried about cold starts.

Please forgive my ignorance in the area of......well....... all of this as I ask again...

So I'm doing myself and my truck a favor by running soyclean, or 2cyc oil or whatever is the best I can find that gives the lowest HFRR in the tank???

Tons of boat shops around here...so I will look for some good 2cyc oil. Ashless of course. Or I will just order a couple of gallons of SoyClean to see how that works out.

Thanks Moparman!:Thumbup:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts