The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500
1,239 Posts
the less miles the better. in my opinion. i run about 3,000 to 4,000 but noooo more than that. i run synthetic and its kind of expensive but whatever. i would rather spend $70 on an oil change than $5000 on a motor.

erik

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Most guys will run 7500-10000 with synthetics. You can definately run longer but its best to do oil analysis as you go to see how the oil is holding up.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Why don't you trust the oil change reminder built into the truck? You would not believe how accurate that thing is. It's not just a timer. It takes into account shifts, drive distance intervals, engine temps, starts, whole bunch of stuff.

I buy the Rotella synthetic and would think 7500 would be fine. Oil has come such a long way compared to 20 years ago and longer. It lasts longer and protects much better.

If you change your oil every 3,000 miles, you have 33 oil changes in 100K. That's 33x $75= $2,500 bucks!

Change it every 7500 (easily within the limits of synthetics) and you spend $975. Tha's a savings of $1,500

$1,500 bucks saved buys you 2 sets of good tires, saves you a lot of work changing oil and saves throwing away or recycling 200 quarts of waste oil.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Why don't you trust the oil change reminder built into the truck? You would not believe how accurate that thing is. It's not just a timer. It takes into account shifts, drive distance intervals, engine temps, starts, whole bunch of stuff.
My reminder doesnt come on until between 14K & 16K miles, I'm just not comfortable going that long.

:happymugs

·
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500
1,239 Posts

I buy the Rotella synthetic and would think 7500 would be fine. Oil has come such a long way compared to 20 years ago and longer. It lasts longer and protects much better.

If you change your oil every 3,000 miles, you have 33 oil changes in 100K. That's 33x $75= $2,500 bucks!

Change it every 7500 (easily within the limits of synthetics) and you spend $975. Tha's a savings of $1,500

$1,500 bucks saved buys you 2 sets of good tires, saves you a lot of work changing oil and saves throwing away or recycling 200 quarts of waste oil.
i would rather spend 2,500 dollars a year than spend like $5000 or $6000 on a motor.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
i would rather spend 2,500 dollars a year than spend like $5000 or $6000 on a motor.
What if you do blackstone oil samples like I have after 7K miles and found the oil was still well within the acceptable metals contents?

The days of 3K oil changes are over. Synthetics are easily good to 7-10K.

·
48 Posts
I have 46k on my oil. When I had 18 k on it I did an oil test and they told me the oil was still in very good shape. I did another one at 33k and they told me the oil was in real good shape but vis. was 12.3, the iron was 46 ppm. tbn was 6.2. I decided to call the place and talked to a tech. They assured me with the numbers you have there is no reason to change the oil but it is getting a little thick. Tbn is good, iron is 46 but don't let it get more than 100 ppm. I called another tech to make double sure, the tech said it was real good but noted not many people go 33k between changes (snickering). I asked, would you change it? He hesitated and said it's still real good oil. I am going to get another test soon and should know more. I know a guy with 88k on his oil and the test says it's good. The oil is Amsoil 5w30 series 3000. I use Amsoil filters and are very good filters.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
There was a guy on TDG that got 100K out of amsoil synthetic and an amsoil filter. Said it saved him like 20 oil changes at $75/pop = $1,500.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts