The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So fellas, what kinda mileage you getting on oil changes? I know our manuals say 7500 but what are you all doing 5,000 7,500 or more? Also, anyone noticing any oil loss due to burning off?

cory

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
10000 running synthetic. That is not scientific I just choose to do it at that interval. I don't have any oil loss at that amount of mileage either.

·
3,514 Posts
I change every 3-5K roughly and I do primarily hwy driving with this truck. With that said, I don't think you need to do it that often, but I believe that clean oil, fuel and air will really help to extend engine life in these trucks.
Sean

B

·
0 Posts
I know I have a 12v, but overall pretty much the same motor inside. Since my truck has 300k I feel that good clean oil is a must to extend the life of what parts may be starting to wear. I change every 5k miles, sometimes a little sooner. When I was running Rotella I was burning 1 to 1 1/2 quarts every 5k miles. Since I have switched to Lucas I am burning none.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I am running rotella and have been goin between 5000-7500 on changes and noticed a slight consumption.

Since I just turned over 100k I think I will switch to something else, Lucas probably

Cory

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
FireMarshal3311 said:
Yeah, I am running rotella and have been goin between 5000-7500 on changes and noticed a slight consumption.

Since I just turned over 100k I think I will switch to something else, Lucas probably

Cory

NO !!!!! stay with Rotella, the best Non-sythetic out there is Rotella T (diesel or no diesel), and the new stuff they have out is even better.

I run about 25,000 Mile oil change intervals, the engine is running perfect, everything else around is falling apart though. I burn about a quart every 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why does rotella burn so much? every diesel I have had, had rotella (mainly cause that's all we had were I used to live) and it always burned a quart or two or more between changes.

B

·
0 Posts
Phily 911 said:
NO !!!!! stay with Rotella, the best Non-sythetic out there is Rotella T (diesel or no diesel), and the new stuff they have out is even better.
I will have to dis-agree with you on that, a year ago I would not have. Shell has re-formulated the Rotella T and it does not have the same qualities it once did. Not saying it is bad oil, although it is not anywhere near as good as it once was.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bouncer said:
I will have to dis-agree with you on that, a year ago I would not have. Shell has re-formulated the Rotella T and it does not have the same qualities it once did. Not saying it is bad oil, although it is not anywhere near as good as it once was.
That's why I bought several cases a few years back when it was $4.75 a gallon on sale at TSC! I still have 4 or 5 cases in stock. Does lucas make a motor oil or just the additive? I use some of that with the Rotella and change every 5000.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My customers have had good success running our 15W40, 2 to 3 times longer (12,000 to 18,000 miles) with their oil changes. Oil anyalisas has shown this to be safe.Those running the Series 3000 5W30 are really happy *** this is AMSOIL'S best.

B

·
0 Posts
Old Goat said:
Does lucas make a motor oil or just the additive? I use some of that with the Rotella and change every 5000.
Yes they make all kinds of oil. Actually they make about anything you can think of to go in a vehicle. Amsoil that was posted previous is good although I have never used it. I am still on the fence about synthetic oil in my motor with 300k on it. Two reasons I use Lucas. I really like their products and they perform exactly like they say they do and it is made in the small town I live in about 6 miles from my house. So I try to support the local economy as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have heard it is also good to change the fuel filter with every oil change. I guess it could not hurt. On the fuel filter assembly how would I go about swaping out the filter anyway.:shrug:

·
3,514 Posts
you need to unscrew the black cap on top of the filter housing, then pull out the old filter and pop in the new one. Its really pretty simple. It will probably be quite black, and a new one will really liven up the power of your truck and should help with milage too. You will also want either a 19mm or 3/4inch wrench to crack your injector lines to bleed the air out of them after swapping the filter out.
Hope this helps.
Sean

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bleeding the injector lines do I definatly have to do that. If so should the engine be running for this.

·
3,514 Posts
you have to bleed them to get the engine to run pretty much. You'll just take the 19mm or 3/4in open end wrench and crack 1 or 2 injector lines about a 1/4 of a turn, then crank the engine. It helps if you have someone to watch the lines or crank the engine for you. Once a little fuel starts seeping out, tighten them down then the truck will start and you'll be good to go. If you don't do this, it may result in a lot of cranking, enough to drain the batteries, and some people can't get their trucks to start without doing this. Some people have said they can switch a filter and not have to crack the injector lines, but I've never had that blessing. Just keep a wrench handy so that you can crack them if need be.
Sean

1 - 16 of 16 Posts