The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, my pa inlaw was telling me tonight that when I do an oil change on my 06 Vinson 500 I am supposed to use motor cycle oil only - no automotive oil. He said he was told by 3 different shops that it will gum up the clutches. Anyone heard of this?

Thanks for the help!

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
never heard that before. I've used automotive oil in my 1988 Yamaha since new. and it still runs great.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Russ, my other quads always got regular motor oil with no problems. They are most likely trying to make some extra money from the unknowing :pointlaugh

·
Black Smoke Junkie
356 Posts
I heard that running motor oil in atvs is bad on the clutches and I have seen it first hand. The clutches are a little different than in a car or truck and the oil is a little different. I would just use the stuff that Suzuki put in your Vinson from the factory that's sometimes the best with atvs.

·
Mafia member 46
555 Posts
cars and trucks don't have wet clutches like a ATV does. I have changed the oil in my Vinson 3 times with the Suzuki oil just because of the wet clutch. I would like to put synthetic in it but just can't do it because of the wet clutch and not knowing what the oil will do to it.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
if your going synthetic get amsoil 0w40 atv oil, its the best, also great for starting in cold weather my Z400 loves it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts