The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my truck has 15K miles on it so I did the oil change and fuel filters changed... I have changed my oil and filter every 5K miles, and the fuel filters on the 15K mark. I was looking at the FORD Manual and it states oil should be evey 10K. I will not ask my dealer any questions about my truck, i do not belive much they say due to past dealing with them. So any info would help...anyone doing the 10K mile thing or know of someone thanks

·
2,183 Posts
with our high performance mmods and crap (especially if you have meth injection) you need to change your oil mmore frequently.

if you're stock, i'd still chhange it every 5 just to keep the truck happy

·
191 Posts
I change mine every 10K, if you idled alot then I wouldnt but the way I drive it thats only about 250 hrs. Thats still pretty frequent changing as far as hours go IMO. We change the oil in all our equipment at 375 for deere and 500 for cummins/ komatsu, thats what the book says and those engines are alot more money than these 6.4s.

·
606 Posts
5000 mile is just right............cheap insurance.

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
Just go by the book unless you are in extreme conditions (High heat, extreme pulling, ect) or if you idle lots I thought Ford said said 400 hrs but DONT quote me on that....

You can always do an oil sample also if you are unsure if you are in Extreme conditions. I do mine every 8 - 9000 KM's but I live where its colder and do a lot of starting and stopping

·
1,415 Posts
i do mine every 5,000 km roughly 3000 miles i think, But i do alot of start and stop and run her hard somedays in the mud so like the turbos to stay clean,

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did send a sample to black stone labs so we will see whats up with that. I will post when i get the form from them

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
I do mine at the 10k mark. I figure ford probly knows better than to say 10K if the engine couldnt survive until 10k with out damage. Besides they would just loose money on warrenty work if it was bad for the motor.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
I change mine every 5,000km like clock work. Even the ford tec recomend changing soon then what they quote in the book. Oil is cheaper then an engine.

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
I got 92K of changing it every 10K with no probs.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
I idle a fair amount. And winters here can be a bit nippy.

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
I think that will work if you don't have the DPF. If you do fuel, is not a very good lubricant.
No dpf, I use shell rotella synthetic but might try amsoil this weekend. I also add zmax to the oil. Been doing that since new and still no probs. :thumbsup

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
update

my sample came back from blackstone labs...a little high in the medals, but not to concerned still going though breakin (just turned 15K miles) but high in the fuel range, i will keep an eye on that. sample was taken cold so that might be why, 16 qrts of oil came out out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts