The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

99.5 crew cab 4x4 long bed. Stock turbo, and injectors except for #8 was replaced a year ago. 4" exhaust from the turbo, tymar intake. Twice in the last 6 months the truck has died going down the road. Both times the stick didn't show any oil. The last time, I added 2 gallons of oil after 3,000 miles since the last oil change. Rotella 15w40, and it was full. Drained some fuel this morning, it was clear, no oil in it. Valley is not full of oil, there is a very little bit in one of the voids. No oil leaks under the truck. Exhaust is just dry soot, no oily mess. The compressor wheel is dry and does not have any play. Pulled the intercooler hose off of the left side of the turbo, it was dry, no oil at all.
Also, my power just does not seem to be there anymore. I do run a DP tuner at the 80 hp econ, and the 60hp tow when I pull my 5th wheel. Camper is 10k unloaded. Used to pull it with no problem, no she has a hard time staying at 65mph. Florida driving, no hills, no winter blend fuel. Also, my mileage has gone down, I used to get around 16 mpg, not I'm lucky to get 13.
Thanks for any help you can provide, and sorry for the long writing.

I had a #8 injector go bad about 6 months ago. When I was replacing it, I noticed that the one that came out was a AB and the one I was putting was an AD or vice a versa(can't remember) That injector has since been noisier than before. Could this have any thing to do with it. I called the place I got it from and they said they would not take it back, and that it would be ok.

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well the truck died today driving down the road and would not restart. Had it towed in to the shop. The socks in the tank on the pump are clogged and burnt out the pump on the rail....Got to love it. Once they get it running, they are going to look into the oil consumption issue.

·
204 Posts
sounds like the O rings arent in right on the injector you replaced.

9 outta 10 times when someone has an O ring problem, its after an injector was replaced. so that would be the first injector i would look at.

your probably sending oil into the fuel tank and thats why the sock is clogged.

if u arent burning it or leaking it... theres nowhere else it can go.

once thats all fixed... your mpg should be back to normal.

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like the O rings arent in right on the injector you replaced.

9 outta 10 times when someone has an O ring problem, its after an injector was replaced. so that would be the first injector i would look at.

your probably sending oil into the fuel tank and thats why the sock is clogged.

if u arent burning it or leaking it... theres nowhere else it can go.

once thats all fixed... your mpg should be back to normal.
Yeah, hopefully thats it. Once the pump gets fixed, they are going to look into that problem.

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to help ya! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the quick diagnosis, but not for the mula, ouch, that hurts. Damn powerstrokes and their pricey parts. Once it's running again, remind Todd that I replaced the #8 injector, and may have torn the oring on it. Thanks for your help.

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Yeah when I drianed out the tank it was crystal clear. But anyways have you decided if your going to keep it,?

·
204 Posts
i think u can also be burning that oil because if the O ring is shot on that injector..... oil can be mixing with fuel in the heads and then being burnt after the fuel is consumed by the engine, never making it back to the tank.

i know u said the tank is clean ,, but id still go after that injector.

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah when I drianed out the tank it was crystal clear. But anyways have you decided if your going to keep it,?
Yeah I'm going to sell it and go with a Dodge

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Yeah I'm going to sell it and go with a Dodge
Or you can go chevy but get LLY or newer.:thumbsup plenty of power/ tq with the mpg with the bigget cab space.

If you can try to look up north.. (ocala) or further, prices tend to be a little cheaper up there for some reason?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts