The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else finding that they have to add a quart of oil every three to four thousand miles? I have approximatly 27k miles on the truck. I have been watching it myself for the past 12-15 thousand miles and it has stayed consistent. I notified the dealer and they say all they can do is a oil consumption check and make recommendations based on that. I don't know for sure that I trust what thier recommendation will be though.

Thanks.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
That's normal. If you do short trips, it might be more.

I only lose ~1/2 qt between changes.

·
Haulin' Azz
3,111 Posts
The one we had that blew up used oil , all our others have'nt used a drop in 5k ever.
I've read somewhere that if you dont break them in right , then they will use oil.

·
resident mason
343 Posts
Mine doesn't use/burn any either. I ran dino oil for the first 10k then synthetic for 45k now. What do you guys do to break an engine in? I usually wait till it's got around 500 miles on it then give it a good hot supper then change oil, and I don't keep rpm's constant for long periods of time until a 1000 or so. Even now I still hold it on the gov. once in a while just to keep ridges from forming. It's definitely broke in but the mileage is still crap though.

·
resident mason
343 Posts
Oil is oil. Any name brand syn. oil is just as good as the next. I use whatever is handy, Rotella, Valvoline, Amsoil. etc. Maybe if JHolt ran synthetic oil consumption would diminish unless he has real bad ring problems?

·
3,754 Posts
A dealer pry will tell you that is within specs but most dont use much if any oil.

·
812 Posts
my mom has 50k oh her 07 LBZ and never had to add any oil to it in between oil changes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts