The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys so i had the egr cooler out at my dads shop and the oil filter housing was off so i got it all back together and took it for a spin and it seemed fine but i shut it off went inside and came back out no more that 2 min later and there was a puddle of oil on the ground and i got a flash light and checked the turbo supply line and that was fine. so i decided to go home and then thought about the oil filter housing and then got to the lowes about 12 miles down the road and in the time it took me to park shut off the truck and get out there was a puddle so i looked at the oil filter housing and above the bolts it looks like the barrel of the housing and the bolt flange are pressed together and that is where it is leaking from has anyone heard of this or had this problem?....so i limped it home by stopping every so often to put more oil in....sorry for the long winded post but thanks in advance

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
can you post up some pics so we can see EXACTLY where it's leaking from ?
do you have the filter housing tightened all the way ? is the o-ring still in place and good ? is it cross threaded ?
is it leaking out of the base of the filter housing ? did you make sure all the lines from the oil cooler were in place from when you removed the egr cooler ?

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its not out of the cap its just above the bolt heads....i am in school right now so when i get home at 230 i will begin ripping it back apart so i will take pics then

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry guys false alarm its not the housing(so no pic) its coming up past the bolt that is closest to the air filter...does any one know how to get it to seal with the internal threads covered in oil or am i going to have to pull it apart a third time

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have any ideas on how to seal that bolt...i was thinking about an o-ring under the head of it but not sure if it will work

·
100 Posts
which bolt that is closest to the air filter? Valve cover or something, you are very vague. Someone may be able to help you a lot easier with a better description or a picture of it would be best.

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its one of the 4 torx bolts that hold down the filter housing and when standing on the bumper looking down at it it is at about 5 0'clock
(there is an attached pic)...i hope

Attachments

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Is it hard to eliminate the factory fuel filter housing?

·
Too much into it now...
2,011 Posts
6L strokin said:
Is it hard to eliminate the factory fuel filter housing?
No...just use a saws-all...then a die grinder soaked with WD-40 to clean it up. (The WD-40 prevents the aluminum from sticking to the bit.):Thumbup:

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
i know some people who have bypassed the entire stock fuel bowl assembly, but still have it in place because you'd have to come up w/some sort of 'block off' plate to seal the hole.

·
Too much into it now...
2,011 Posts
LvTitan said:
i know some people who have bypassed the entire stock fuel bowl assembly, but still have it in place because you'd have to come up w/some sort of 'block off' plate to seal the hole.
Uhm..no.

I haven't used my secondary fillter for over a year.
Just plugged the tubing lines after I cut them off as close as I could to the fuel filter housing, and left it.

-No block off plate.

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
Extended Power said:
Uhm..no.

I haven't used my secondary fillter for over a year.
Just plugged the tubing lines after I cut them off as close as I could to the fuel filter housing, and left it.

-No block off plate.
that's because you "left it"... i was referring to actually removing the entire fuel bowl/filter housing assembly...

·
82 Posts
Just cut it off the side of the oil filter housing! There's no holes to plug if its not there! I'm running a similar set up as Extended Power and it works great and cleans up the engine compartment. I will try and post a pic of the oil filter housing with out the fuel filter housing on it!

·
82 Posts
Droolinforparts said:
its one of the 4 torx bolts that hold down the filter housing and when standing on the bumper looking down at it it is at about 5 0'clock
(there is an attached pic)...i hope
Hey Droolinforparts,
There shouldn't be any oil comin out of that bolt you may have a crack in the housing! You may just have to replace the o ring under the top plate of the oil cooler. If i were you I would tear in to it! Good luck

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
ya, get that pick up so i can do it! LOL and yall really used a sawzaw??

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Blksmokejunky said:
Hey Droolinforparts,
There shouldn't be any oil comin out of that bolt you may have a crack in the housing! You may just have to replace the o ring under the top plate of the oil cooler. If i were you I would tear in to it! Good luck
yea my dad ordered the housing the day i started the thread and i got it running last night...it wasnt cracked but the old o-ring was compressed and not doing its job so it was coming past it and up the bolt so i replaced the whole thing and the o-ring

1 - 17 of 17 Posts