The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 05 I've been chasing a oil leak while was taking things apart I fig I would pull egr valve out and have a look. When I did I found wet oilley residue I've never lost any coolant or puked also don't see any smoke So is this from ccv or turbo Or should I pull the cooler off It has 117,000 on I've owned since new only mods exhaust pipe to egr cooler blocked off at 85000mi when dealer changed both coolers for preventive maintenance had a friend there

·
3,051 Posts
Need to determine if it's actually oil or coolant.

If it's oil, it's likely ccv related oil residue thats migrated into the egr chamber area of the intake manifold just like normal ccv oils will coat the entire intake system. Since no egr is flowing through it to help dry it out, it looks just like the intake manifold and cac (charge air cooler) hoses...coated with oil on the inside.

Thats my guess, probably normal for the way your engine is configured.

Get yourself a ScanGaugeII if you don't have one already, and read the engine oil and coolant temp deltas before tearing anything apart, especially since both coolers were replaced 32k ago and your not experiencing any coolant loss or unusual smoking.

Harry

·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Harry I have a scangage and the deltas are good so it must be lack exhaust to dry it. Have you seen many hpop covers leak oil? I been spraying break kleen the only place I see oil is hpop It looks like it is seeping out but it is very hard to see it

·
3,051 Posts
Could be the hpop / hpop cover / or the IPR / or the turbo drain tube oring.

Maybe purchase a borescope camera kinda like this?...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141216497186?lpid=82&chn=ps

We use them all the time at my work, although they are high end ones that the dealership provides, but some of the inexpensive ones can work good enough to get a decent look in tight areas.

Harry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts