The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I change the engine oil, does all the oil in the hpop drain out.
how much oil is suppose to be in the pump when you remove the plug on the top?:shrug:
How do I repair the pick up line for the hpop?

Thanks
Frank:thanks:

·
2,509 Posts
when you change your oil it should stay in the high pressure oil pump. It should be within about 1/2in of the hole on the top of the resivore when its full.
what is your truck doing?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I think about 20oz in the reservoir from the bottom to the bottom of the plug.
Shouldn't drain out at all when you change the oil.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
So are you saying its the same oil from when the truck was new, or does it cycle it into the crankcase when the engine is running?

·
2,509 Posts
after it goes through the injectors it drains into the pan, and the lower oil pump feeds the high pressure oil pump, so it just keeps cycling through

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, My truck runs rough at Idle, 300-1000 rpms.
only does it when it is up to operating temp, starts up fine, idles good when cold.

Frank

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
f_stahl said:
Thanks, My truck runs rough at Idle, 300-1000 rpms.
only does it when it is up to operating temp, starts up fine, idles good when cold.

Frank
While many things can cause this, the MOST common is aereated oil. One way to verify this diagnosys is to run the engine under LOAD until at operating temperature. Allow it to idle for a short time (15-20 seconds), shut it off then pull the dip-stick. If there are bubbles on the dipstick, CHANGE THE OIL.

All PSD engines REQUIRE an oil with an API rating of "CI-4" or better. Sure, early engines could not use CI-4 because it did not exist, but they run LOTS better with it than with say "CG" oils.

·
2,106 Posts
John_G said:
All PSD engines REQUIRE an oil with an API rating of "CI-4" or better. Sure, early engines could not use CI-4 because it did not exist, but they run LOTS better with it than with say "CG" oils.
Which oils fit this criteria???
For that matter, what is the best oil to use in the 7.3???

·
18 Posts
Since you guys are on the subject of the Hi output pump. Me and the son just got through pulling his off tonight. Wasn't too bad. Had a leaking o ring on the little port next to the pressure adjustment. Bought the o ring kit from ford and it only came wh the 3 o rings for the hose fittings and the other larger port plug. headed ti Int tomorrow to see if they have what we need.

I assume when we get it back together we should fill the resevoir with oil before we fire it off. Thansks for any advice. New guy on the boards!!

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
99StrokerDude said:
Which oils fit this criteria???
There is no way to KNOW if an oil meets the criteria of "CI-4" without looking at the bottle. The "CI-4" rating is CLEARLY marked as part of the "API" symbol on the container.

For that matter, what is the best oil to use in the 7.3???
No disrespect, but there is NO WAY I am going there......

Having said that, I have used Mobil Delvac 1 and Delvac (regular), and Shell Rotella-T with no problems.

blackedoutsd,

When you install the new plugs, fittings and o-rings make ABSOLUTELY SURE you use a Tq wrench on them, and do it right. Use the provided sealant on the threads EXACTLY as prescribed in the instructions with the kit.

Yes, you should refill the HPOP reservoir before attempting to start the engine.

·
2,106 Posts
John_G said:
No disrespect, but there is NO WAY I am going there......
Understandable, I suppose I should have just asked if the oil I was using is a very good oil... I usually use the Delo 400... I have had a couple people tell me it was good, but I would rather know if an expert Diesel Garager thought so...

·
Registered
16 Posts
delo 400 is an excellent choice, almost the best, but by far the most reliable for the price. we service hundreds of diesels a year, this is what we use unless they ask for something else. if you have air in you oil for any reason, drive it like it was stolen for at least a hundred miles. it will miss,, start hard,, do all sorts of stuff till it bleeds all the air out.. if you live in a very cold area,, ford recommends 10-30,, as do i. it is a lot thinner, works much better in cold temps... stanadyne fuel treatment work miracles on worn injectors, be sure your fuel filter is clean, also,, on the early strokers, clean your screen inside the fuel filter housing, it collects all sorts of debris.. it is on the very top,, on the drivers side.. clean oil,, and fuel,, and your strokin""""""!!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will be changing the oil monday after work, if I got air in the oil how did it get there?
Thank Frank

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Do you have a SES light? Have you tried to pull the codes?

Sounds like it could be a bad injector, or bad IPR.

I've had a bad IPR cause it to do some wierd things. Need to have access to a good scan tool to watch ICP at cranking, when the problem occurs, IPR duty cycle, and perform some tests as well as scan for codes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts