The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
In the passing lane
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had only one oil change done to my 04 recon since it was bought. The dealer wants like 300+ for the change and labor. Thats why it has had only one done. So my question is how do I change the oil myself and what kind do I use. Any special tools needed I want to save money.:shrug: :confused:

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
All I had to do to my 98' Recon was pull the plug and drain the oil, put the plug back in and fill it up. They are real simple. There is a filter, but Honda only recommends changing it like every 1,000 hrs or something crazy like that. Its only a screen filter I think. It is recommended to have a Honda dealer change that filter though. Go get you some Honda Four-Stroke oil and do it yourself.

·
In the passing lane
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were is the drain plug located. I was thinking about some royal purple oil or something that I will not have to worrie about it for a while.

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
Directly underneath...there is a hole in the middle of the skid plate and the drain plug is right there.

·
In the passing lane
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. The next nice weekend it will have the oil changed finally.

·
In the passing lane
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed the oil on Saturday. I couldnt beleive how black it was. I put in some ATV oil from Autozone. I also pulled the plug and it needs to be replaced so I am going to get one tommrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts