The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I want to say this is a great forum to learn and read about the Power Strokes. You folks post a lot of good information. I have a 2002 F350 4x4 A/T with 46800 on the odometer, truck runs great, really enjoy it.

So far I am using the MC 15w40 oil/MC FL#1995 oil filter and change both every 5000 miles/6 months wcf. I have no complaints with the MC oil, I hear it is a great oil, only problem, it is hard to find in the gallon jugs. I guess my second choiuce would be Delo. I also hear this is a great oil. I'm not interested in going to a synthetic for ywo reasons:
1) Truck still under warranty waste of money to change synthetic at 5000 miles
2) My driving habits work well with a good dino oil, I don't pull carry heavy weight truck is a daily driver for now

Sorry for the long e-mail

Thanks
Bluemonster

·
Rockin-S
215 Posts
So your only complaint is you cant find it in a gallon jug? If you have to have it in a jug then buy it from the dealer, They have it in a 5 quart container. I myself dont see its that big of deal every 5000 miles to mess with quart jugs.

·
6,337 Posts
Welcome to the best diesel site on the net!!!:welcome2: :grd

As far as oil changes go I run delo 90% of the time, on occasion I will run Rotella (but I seem to get a ICP code with it) I also run a Donaldson P554105 or Fleetguard 691 oil filter. There a oversized filter which allows you to run an extra 1.5qts of oil.

I do run amsoil in the tranny, but thats the only synthetic I will run.

·
6,337 Posts
RSP said:
So your only complaint is you cant find it in a gallon jug? If you have to have it in a jug then buy it from the dealer, They have it in a 5 quart container. I myself dont see its that big of deal every 5000 miles to mess with quart jugs.

Nice welcome to a newbe...:umno:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RSP

Thanks for the e-mail. I should have explained myself a little better. Even the dealers near me only have the quart bottles, no 1 gallon no 5 qt jugs?? I guess I might see if I can get them to sell me the bulk MC 15w40 in the jugs I supply?

Bluemonster

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CSIPSD

I see you favor the Delo like many others do. ICP code using Rotella, how come? I will say if I chose to replace the MC 15w40, it will be with the Delo as well.

Bluemonster

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CSIPSD,

I thought about a synthetic in my 4R100 as well. I spoke to two idependant trans shops ( not dealeres) in my area about making the switch. They both stated if I am not pulling/hauling anything heavy to stick with the Ford fluid. I had the dealer do the trans flush at 30000, my fluid is still bright cherry red. I am still thinking about the synthetic trans fluid next time around. Have you noticed a difference with the synthetic trans fluid?

Thanks
Bluemonster

·
6,337 Posts
The Rotella I think is breaking down and lowering the pressure (again I think?)

The synthetic, I havent noticed any "performance" gain, but I cant get the tranny above 150-170. I used to be able to close on 220-225 when pulling.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CSIPSD

I know the synthetic trans fluid is worth the piece of mind, keeping your temp down. That's a big difference.

Bluemonster

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
i have always run rotella and i never got any codes with it, maybe its just a coincidence?

·
Registered
325 Posts
rotella and FL1995 every 7500... 5000 if its been hooked to the trailer the whole time

·
Registered
460 Posts
JLayne said:
rotella and FL1995 every 7500...
Ditto for me too. I just got back another Blackstone report saying to keep doing what I'm doing. iI send off for testing once a year since I don't run extended drain intervals yet. I run the Rotella Syn. Easier starts and a little better MPG's.

For the gallon jugs... Isn't there a Walmart, NAPA, AutoZone, O'Reillys... etc? Ask them to start carrying the gallons jugs.

As far as syn trans fluid. Like said above. Pay for the piece of mind. Syn fluid will drastically reduce the heat.

Hope this help.

·
Registered
325 Posts
biggreen (or anyone else0

have you ever taken yours out to 10K? IH says the T444E (powerstroke) can go 10K on changes with dino oil (what i'm running) so i'm assuming with synthetic it could go even longer... but the pan on a IH motor holds 2 more quarts, I can't see that amount making a big difference but i could be wrong... I have been kicking around the idea of going doing that with mine just curious as to if you had a oil sample of that.

·
Registered
460 Posts
7500 is the longest I've gone. I used to have a gasser that I ran synthetic in. I changed it between 12K - 15K, but I kept the filters changed out between 3-4K. Filters are cheap.

I'd consider going 10K in this truck, but only by changing the filter around 5K.

I wonder if the T444E's use a bigger filter? I know there's a bigger filter that fits our trucks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts