The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I have my truck pluged in and want to start it with the remote start is that ok or do I have to unplug it first.

2008 F250 SD with 6.4 diesel

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
If it was me i would unplug it just to be safe. Once its running you wont need the heater.

·
5,365 Posts
1st off its NOT an oil pan heater...its a BLOCK heater & it warms the block.
The block heater sits in a water jacket <freeze plug> hole.

starting the truck w/ the block heater plugged in, will hurt NOTHING....

Reactions: dwoz2012

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
1st off its NOT an oil pan heater...its a BLOCK heater & it warms the block.
The block heater sits in a water jacket <freeze plug> hole.

starting the truck w/ the block heater plugged in, will hurt NOTHING....
Don hit the nail on the head...not gonna hurt a thing to leave it plugged in while its running other than your power bill.

·
5,365 Posts

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
I command start it all the time when its plugged in, it would defeat the purpose of having a command start if you had to go out and unplug it first!! LOL

Mine is plugged in from the time I get home to when I want to start it again, if you can't afford the $10 a month you are driving the wrong truck!! Ha ha I used to have a timer and it worked great till the batteries went dead now I am just to lazy to get new ones

·
Registered
238 Posts
The only time I have had an issue with using the remote start is when cold from not plugging it in. The truck may quit running and you would not know it. I am thinking of one of those Wabasso diesel powered heaters. They are the cat's a--. No plugging in ever.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
It would probably be cheaper to put on a circulating block heater as opposed to a wabasto. Ive worked for a company that lost a $1.5 million coil rig using a wabasto.

·
5,365 Posts
The only time I have had an issue with using the remote start is when cold from not plugging it in. The truck may quit running and you would not know it. I am thinking of one of those Wabasso diesel powered heaters. They are the cat's a--. No plugging in ever.
if you use a 2 way paging alarm/remote youll 1) know the engine is
started & 2) youll know when the engine shuts down.

thats the BEAUTY of 2-way alarms...confirmation !

·
Now Cummins Powered
234 Posts
I start mine with it plugged in all the time, and I usually use the remote start that ford installed. I never had any issues and is a lot quieter on start up when it has been plugged in. I only gelled once last yr and it was able to run through it and work it out after only 2 min or so.

·
773 Posts
I've been tossing this idea around for a while, I don't think you would have any problems, my dad has run wabasto and proheat in his hiway trucks for years and he swears by them. The best part is when you are away from a power supply; ie. seldding or staying in a camp, you still won't have to cold start your truck.

Rene

·
Registered
238 Posts
My remote start is a two way and once in awhile when it is really cold and the truck could not be plugged in, the truck would start with the remote starter and run long enough to beep back that it is running but it actually quit. It is probably a set up issue, but I have not been able to stay awake reading the set up manual. Double beep this, beep that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts