The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know I don't post here much but that is because I do not have a PSD but I have friends that do. I only post with questions for them so here it goes. The truck is a 01" PSD and he says he needs to remove the oil pan to re-seal for an oil leak. Does anyone have a step by step instruction for the removal process? I could suggest he buy a manual but.. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
455 Posts
step 1 remove the engine from the truck
step 2 remove oil pan
step 3 clean all old material off using scrapers and cleaning solvent NOT GRINDIND OR CLEANING DISKS if any of this debri gets into the crankcase it can and will clog up the ipr
be sure the pan and block are clean and dry before applying the new pan sealant you will want a single bead of sealant on the side rails of the pan and a double bead on the ends I aslso recomend putting a smear of it on the front and rear covers where they mate to the block

after install do not put oil in the engine for 24 hours to allow the sealant to fully cure before oil comes in contact with it

·
I be Architect'n
351 Posts
He's not joking.

·
1,921 Posts
You can't get the pan out without pulling the engine. It's to close to the cross member. Get the good IH sealant. It's grey and it works great. You put a single 1/8" bead down the sides and a single 1/4" bead over the front and rear covers as per the service manual. You can get it in a calk gun tube which works great and makes for easier installation.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Does anyone make a aluminum pan......

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Powder coating may hold up also.....but not as well as SS...............I have been thinking about having one out built out of aluminum.

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
POWER STROKE 99 said:
Powder coating may hold up also.....but not as well as SS...............I have been thinking about having one out built out of aluminum.
I don't know if Powder coating would hold up to the heat. Maybe there is a high temp powder coating. :idea:

·
1,726 Posts
WOJO 1 said:
Step 1, your kidding right?? I have not looked under one these things so I do not know. Remove eingine?
The easiest thing to do is to clean it up real well and try to seal it up from the outside with RTV.

Rcannon said:
I don't know if Powder coating would hold up to the heat. Maybe there is a high temp powder coating. :idea:
There is a guy close to me that does powder coating and I have seen him doing valve covers, timing covers, intake manifolds, and oil pans for gassers. I haven't seen any oil pans after long term run time but I know it holds up well on valve covers. I had a set done for my race car and they look nice.

BTW, I am pretty sure they make hi temp powder coat for like 500 to 600 deg.
The extremely hi temp stuff goes by the term ceramic coating :poke: LOL

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
I had a set of headers Hot coated and they held up very well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is he sure the pan is leaking and not something from up on top and leaking down the back? Is there any oil in the valley?

·
1,921 Posts
Powdercoating should hold up fine. I did my valve covers and have yet to have an issue. If you can clean the rust off something else you might try that you could do without pulling the pan is to spray a bunch of undercoating on it. That should seal it off and keep it from rusting any more and will give a cusion for rocks and other debris that might try to chip away at it.

·
Diesel Pro
899 Posts
My buddie is a welder and her tig welded an oil pan for his show car out of diamond plate. Iv been wanting him to build one for my SD bit I need a reason to pull the motor first. Iv had to replace the oil pans on 3 of our 7.3L plow trucks at work. (I HATE SALT TRUCKS THANKS MICHIGAN) the second and third truck I did in 8 hrs at work buy my self it get prity easy its a tight fit but it comes out take the radiator out or you will be buying a new one and the charge air cooler.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts