The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange problems. Changed oil and used jobber filter. Started ok and drove 100 miles. Shut off and wouldn't start but oil gauge would come up when cranking. Put old filter in until new Ford original arrived. Drove 12 miles everthing ok. Sat overnight and started ok in morning. Drove 7 miles and motor quit. Now cranking no movement on oil gauge. What happened?

·
422 Posts
I bought the MotorCraft oil filters at Advance Auto Parts for $16.75.

I got them at this price using a special 25% discount. Since the discount doesn't come often I bought 12 filters....I'm ready to go 4 years now at my run rate!

·
721 Posts
What are you using to scan with? If it is a scanner and you can pull live data,should be ok. If it is a "code reader" they might not pull all codes. Are you able to "see" KAM memory codes or KOEO codes or KOEO codes?

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oil pressure issues

Tow truck taking F!!D thing away again. 5k since did EGR. Now looks like STC fitting. Starting to look at other brands that stand to normal day use! Can't trust it anymore. Only 60k on motor. What next?

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got word on Ford today. Needs IPR. It was blown. Also needs EGR and oil cooler. Was only done 5,000 miles ago.

·
1,211 Posts
I have a hard time believing an oil cooler can fail in 5000 miles unless it isn't getting any coolant flow to it due to a bad water pump OR you are using coolant that is full of solids.
Were you losing coolant level? You didn't mention it in the first post. What was the difference between EOT and ECT?

Is this is the 2006 motor that you put in your 2004 truck?

·
3,051 Posts
Since he has no reaction on the low pressure oil gauge in the dash. Makes me think the lpop failed. Which could mean a trail of collateral damage. Hopefully not.

Harry

Reactions: gbb

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ford mechanic? says needs two IPR modules to cure. Total of 1270$ Took for road test monitoring coolant temp and oil temp. Coolant temp 180 and oil temp 225. Says oil cooler is plugged. Also say FICM voltage is 32V and needs module. All can be done for 5,000$!

I had been losing coolant and found that gasket between block and aluminum front cover was leaking . I patched with sealant until weather warms up. It quit leaking. I always topped with new coolant. Also has problems with air filter sensor. It blew apart so I changed filter. Light would always come on even after it was reset. Mechanic never noticed either of these problems!

I am picking up today and will try to repair myself! Can the system be reverse flushed?

·
1,211 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, I think a weak water pump would be more likely than another oil cooler failure (or plugging) in 5000 miles - unless your coolant was just full of junk and hadn't ever been flushed.

·
King Of Farts
104 Posts
You cant reverse flush the oil cooler if that's what you're asking. If it clogged up in only 5000 miles then your cooling system is in very poor condition. Needs to be thoroughly flushed with iron cleaner before a new cooler is installed.

I'm not sure what your mechanic means when he says it needs "two IPR modules." There is no "IPR module," just an IPR valve and an ICP sensor. There is a fuel injection control module (FICM), but only one. Doesn't make sense.

Like Harry said, if the IPR valve went bad because of debris in the engine, the same debris may have clogged the oil side of the oil cooler. Did the LP or HP oil pump get damaged?

The air filter gauge is not a big deal if it isn't working. Just disconnect it. On the other hand, if you replaced it and the new one keeps needing to be reset, you must have an air intake restriction somewhere.

·
1,211 Posts
How do you detect a plugged oil cooler on the oil side? I doesn't seem like it would show up on temperature or pressure. It really takes very little debris to cause an IPR valve to fail. It is a common occurrence after an oil cooler change out (unfortunately).

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oil pressure issues

Got truck back today. CM5126 regulator-fuel pre 005 293$ 4c3z9f838a sensor 218$

Quote : no start ecc test and monitor icp too low. Air pressure test leak in pump area. Remove turbo check ipr. Front screenblown out. replace ipr check ok.ficm volts too low. needs ficm. oiltemp 45 degreeshotter than coolant.

·
King Of Farts
104 Posts
How do you detect a plugged oil cooler on the oil side? I doesn't seem like it would show up on temperature or pressure. It really takes very little debris to cause an IPR valve to fail. It is a common occurrence after an oil cooler change out (unfortunately).
Yes, so I've learned. :gaah I don't know if you can detect when oil side clogs but I read somewhere that if metallic debris takes out the IPR, then the oil cooler should be changed because the same debris will clog the oil side. Fortunately, GBB's work ticket doesn't say there was any metal in there.

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oil pressure issues

So where does the debris come from? I was very careful when changing oil cooler keeping everything clean.

·
King Of Farts
104 Posts
Hard to say without seeing what the debris looks like. The stuff that recently took out my IPR looked like plastic pieces of something that broke apart, possibly from the HPOP sump screen that was torn.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts