The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Git-R-Done
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok all you Cummins guys I had a 1999 Dodge Cummins brought in today that is having an oil pressure issue.

The customer says last night when he pulled into his driveway the oils presure gauge dropped to zero so he shut it off real quick.

Now this morning he went out and started it up and the oil pressure was normal so he headed it towards my shop and before he got to the shop it had dropped off to nothing again.

Where do I need to start first and is this a common problem?

Any help on this will be great as I am not all that up on Cummins issues yet.

Thanks,
Darrell

·
3,514 Posts
If you have a mechanical gauge, I would try that first off. There is an Oil Gallery plug above the oil filter that you could use to check the pressure. See if the pressure is actually gone or what. I've had my gauge not come on for me before and it was because one of the main wiring harnesses had been jiggled loose, during an injector install, snapped it back together and its worked fine ever since.

So my recommendation would be to mechanically check the pressure, then go from there.
Sean

B

·
0 Posts
I suggest the same thing as above. Rule out the electrical gauge with a mechanical one to make sure there is or is not pressure. I am sure you checked this, but it is full of oil right?

Bill

·
560 Posts
That is CLASSIC signs of a failed pressure sending unit...about $28 from mother Cummins...

My dad went through the same BS with his...the same sending unit cost him $178 from DC...his would work fine then the OP would go to zero, the lights would flask, and the alarm would sound...few minutes later it would pop back on...then off again...

steved

·
Registered
316 Posts
Did you find the problem?

·
Git-R-Done
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I would have gotten back sooner but forgot about this post. Yeah it was the sending unit.

Thanks for all the help.

Later,
Darrell

1 - 6 of 6 Posts