The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have my scanguage on the rig now and noticed that the temps are are different. Any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated. The oil is reading around 230 and coolant is reading 200 to 190

·
3,051 Posts
Your oil cooler is clogged inside the coolant passages.

Perform a good cooling system flush first and then replace the oil cooler is my suggestion.

Harry

Reactions: Weld engineer

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Harry I didn't think about the flush first. Is there any suggestions on removal and install on the oil cooler.

·
134 Posts
Go to dieseltech ron.com and he has videos for this
Ed

·
3,051 Posts
By flushing first it helps remove contaminates that can clog the new oil cooler, has happened to many before, they replace the oil cooler only to have the new one clog up again because of existing contaminates or they perform a flush after the new cooler is already installed. You want as clean of a cooling system as possible from the get go with a new oil cooler to lessen the chance of a repeat failure from clogging.

Harry

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That link is great deer man and thanks for the explanation Harry. I won't be able to complete this task until the cooler gets here but all the info is nice. One more thing when I cleaned my egr valve a few weeks ago I had a small white ball. Is that a sign of the egr cooler leaking? If I need to change both it would be easier to do at the same time. As always any advice is appreciated. The less downtime and work saves me headache and money😊.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Pretty much wouldn't do an oil cooler on a truck without doing the EGR cooler if it had a questionable history or a lot of miles. EGR cooler failure has been linked to plugged oil coolers, with a plugged oil cooler you starve the EGR cooler of coolant and it overheats and cracks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
3,051 Posts
I totally agree with Idaho.

May want to consider a Bullet-Proof-Diesel egr cooler if your going to retain and replace the cooler.

Harry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts